Foreclosure in 36783>Question Details

Shanika, Home Buyer in Thomaston, AL

I need to know how to acquire a property tax deed and what questions should be asked? Can anyone help me??????

Asked by Shanika, Thomaston, AL Tue Jun 17, 2008

Answers

2
Shanika,

Here is some information from the Sarasota County Clerk of Courts website. It may be comparable to your municipality's Clerk of Courts. Hope this helps.

Tax Deed Sales

Florida Statutes provide that the Clerk of the Circuit Court is responsible for the administration of tax deed sales.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a tax deed sale? A tax deed sale is the sale of property at public auction for back taxes and fees associated with bringing the property to sale. (This is governed by Chapter 197, Florida Statutes, and Administrative Code 12D-13.060, Florida Department of Revenue.)

What are some of the things that I should know before a sale?
All properties are sold at the Historic Courthouse (2000 Main Street, Sarasota) at a public auction. Anyone may bid on the property and it is sold to the highest bidder. A bidder must be able to demonstrate their ability to post a non-refundable deposit of $200.00 for each file at the time of the sale. Per Florida Statutes 197.542(2) the total amount of the bid, plus recording fees, must be received by the Clerk within 24 hours after the advertised time of the sale. Payment must be made by cash, cashier's check or money order only. Please make payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

Why must I post a $200.00 deposit for each file?
The high bidder, of each file, must post a non-refundable cash, cashier's check or money order deposit of $200.00 at the time of the sale. The deposit will be applied to the sale price upon receipt of full payment. If full payment of the final bid and of documentary stamp tax and recording fees is not made within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays, the Clerk will pay the costs of re-advertising the sale and pay all costs of the sale from the deposit.

What happens if I am the high bidder?
Once all fees have been paid, a Tax Deed is issued and recorded in the name you request for the property on which you were the high bidder. According to §197.562 of the Florida Statutes, "Any person, firm, corporation, or county that is the grantee of any tax deed under this law shall be entitled to the immediate possession of the lands described in the deed."

How often are the sales held?
Tax Deed sales are conducted one to two times a month. This can vary from month to month based upon the number of applications the Clerk receives from the Tax Collector.

How do I find a list of the upcoming Tax Deed sales?
A list of the upcoming tax deed sales can be found in the Gulf Coast Business Review which is published on Fridays.

See if you can pick up a book on amazon.com that exclusively focuses on tax deed sales. You'll want to know the full monty.

Good luck and happy shopping.
Start at your local Title or Escrow company. By acquire do you mean buy? Or do you just need a copy?

Talk to your local Realtor about how to obtain what you are looking for.