Foreclosure in 33708>Question Details

Marcia, Both Buyer and Seller in Landrum, SC

I lived in Florida for 30 years on Madeira and Redington Beach. I moved to South Carolina because it was the

Asked by Marcia, Landrum, SC Fri Dec 14, 2007

time to sell my home on the beach. I would love to move back to FL, Is this a good time to buy?

Answers

19
It's a great time to buy, Marcia--there are some phenomenal deals to be found, even on the beaches. The banks are so overloaded with foreclosures and short sales they are practically giving properties away (I know--I've bought some!). Would you move to the beach areas again, or opt for inland? Many returning Floridians are finding the beach life a little too 'touristy' for their taste the second time around.

If you;d like free market updates or additional info, please feel free to contact me--my blog is below, and I specialize in waterfront and investment properties.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Wait another year. Pinellas is littered with short or near short sales. The adjustable rate mortgages started "adjusting" big time in November 2007, and will continue for two more years because of the 3 to 5 year terms, so that it will be fall to winter 2009 before things even out and the market balances itself. At that point, wack 20% of most - still delusional - listing prices. Ignore the realtors babble. They have been wrong for 3.5 years. And, some of them are upside down on their 'bargain' investments.
By the way, as long as you can rent that $500K house with 3-4K in carrying costs each month for $1500, it is NOT a great time to buy...
My goodness, the kool-aid from these realtors is flowing here... DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Value has yet to arrive. It's not different here, and it's not different this time. We have not levelled off. Be patient. Time is on your side. These are the same knuckleheads who cheerled this mess on the way up, and they make money going up or down...
I too miss Mad Beach, but can you get insurance at all, these people say yes, a state program with 3 billion or less(more like 1 billion and dropping) in reserves, what hoops to get help and how long and will the banking company accept the state plan? A minor hurricane can not only wipe out the fund, but leave it in debt for years to come. And the taxes, millage rates going up because the tax base has fallen, already sky high, do a little homework and find out why so many are leaving paradise! And this is not the bottom, take your time, it will take awhile just to find the Bank/Insurance/future plans on spending by the local government to cover their low revenues from the next 2 years.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 23, 2009
Yes. Unequivocally YES. Many people are sitting on the sidelines waiting for what they call the "bottom." I recommend that you get set up on a ListingBook account as soon as possible so you can see for yourself the way the property values are moving in the area of your choicel. The first thing I do is set up an account for my clients so they understand the market in their selected areas. They can see what properties are on the market, what is selling. It gives you daily updates so you can watch the market or find the home and know that the price is right for you. Absolutely no obligation!! For more information about me, ListingBook and other services please check out my website.
Dear Marcia,

My husband and I are selling a home on Terra Ceia Island on the Gulf Coast. It is located south of St. Petersburg and in fact, as you go south over the Skyway Bridge, at the top, look to your right and you will see a body of land...that is Terra Ceia Island. Twenty minutes from St. Pete and thirty from Tampa and Sarasota. Our home is a two story Key West style, two bedroom, two bathroom with a four-car garage under the main living area with ten foot ceilings. It is on a canal lot surrounded by 298' of water and is only three houses from the open bay. No bridges to contend with. Terra Ceia has a definite casual lifestyle, with neighbors riding golf carts, bicycles, jogging or roller blading. The name Terra Ceia translates to "Land Heavenly" and it truly is! Our asking price is $399,000 with homes around us selling for million plus. Please look at our site on http://www.zillow.com, key in 34250 zip code and look for our address 1115 Bayshore Drive. If you have any questions, contact our email address. Good luck in your search for your Florida home. Kathy Riley, ekriley@mounet.com
Web Reference: http://www.zillow.com
Are you still in the market Marcia as I finally after 31 months of answering questions like yours with no now can say yes!

John Desautels 727-343-2488
Web Reference: http://www.mustmoveout.com
I miss the beach, and most of all I miss my friends, and the activity the area has to offer...
Curious as to why you want to move From SC back to FL?
I sent the question in regarding my moving back to Florida. i was wondering if anyone would be interested in trading houses with me I have a beautiful home in Landrum, South Carolina. three bed, two bath, two car garage, dining room. Huge bedroom with sitting area, and Jacuzzi tub in master bath.
If anyone in the Seminole or beach area is interested please get in touch with me.
marcia
YES YES YES!! Can I find you your dream home?
The easy answer is, ABSOLUTELY! However, the real answer will be based on your current situation. The right time to buy is based upon your own personal timing and not the market. If you are ready to buy a home again in Madeira or Redington than now is the right time and it doesn't matter what the market is doing. Good luck to you!
Hi Marcia,

My parents live on Madeira Beach and are starting to see some really great values (for buyers) in their area. Personally, my wife and I are considering a move closer to water in the next year or so. (We're in Saint Petersburg now). I would say this is great time to buy.
Oops! Forget to mention where the home is---Clearwater 1/2 a block from the Intercoastal and the Pinellas Trail. 1 mile from downtown Dunedin to the North and 1 mile from downtown Clearwater to the South. 2 miles to Clearwater Beach, 5 miles to Honeymoon Island. Location, location, location at a peach of a price
Don't know how long you've been gone but Madeira and Redington Bch are definitely dense now. We are selling on Sunset Point Road and Edgewater Dr. waterfront property, dock, gulf access, 3/4 acre the link for photos is below. And yes, of course, as we live in Florida we are realistic sellers. (You can bring a broker as we are on the MLS and compensate buyers brokers or not as you wish.)
Marcia
Yes, definitely
The housing market has corrected and prices have leveled.
You have a tremendous inventory from which to choose.

If you would like me to set you up on the Password Protected Home Buyer's Scouting Report, I'll be happy to do so.

That will give you prices, pictures, addresses, and directions to all the homes in the market within your parameters directly from the MLS. And will update you via email of new offerings coming on the market as well as price reductions. It's much more comprehensive and current than realtor.com

Just email me and I'll set you up on this if you would like.
Yes, values are at all time lows, some indications for improvement have been noted for existing homes. Condos and New home Sales are expected to remain flat for 12 to 15 more months.
Web Reference: http://www.stevebusse.com
Yes it is a good time to buy as long as you are careful what you choose. Some sellers still have not gotten real about their price, but others have, and a good realtor can point you to properties that are great ones to consider.
Web Reference: http://www.myketriebold.com