Foreclosure in 34205>Question Details

Etrahan28, Home Owner in 34205

I left Florida and had a realtor that was trying to short sale my house now it is condemned what do I do now

Asked by Etrahan28, 34205 Sun Feb 26, 2012

When I look at it now say's the house has been removed and I had a friend there in December and she said that the house is condemend uninhabitable posted all around the house and realtor locks on the door. I live in Nevada now and have not been able to get in contact with the orginal realtor what do I do

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Etrahan,

The big problem I see right away is liability. I've seen a few situations where someone gets hurt on the property and they claim the property was abandoned and improperly maintained by the owner.

Because of this somebody "claims" they were hurt and the owner "you" was negligent (sp?).

BTW, Get a new Realtor if you cannot get a response in 24 hours.

Take care,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
First, forget what Zillow says. You might as well ask the Magic 8 Ball. The original Realtor is not who your contract to list is with, it is with the office and the managing broker. Call that broker and deal with them. Agents come and go but your contract to list or sell is with the office and that broker NOT the agent you spoke with -- unless they were the managing broker in which case the office will always have one. Call them and don't believe what you see online.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
You might try contacting your former Realtor's Broker - if possible to try and find out the details of what happened. The state of Florida can help you located an address and phone number for the agency at the Florida Real Estate Commission.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
I have helped owners of simular properties with short sales. The difference is that the buyer is usually a contractor or investor who knows what they are getting into. I agree with those below that there may be legal issues surround the unhabitable issue, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't just short sale the property to the right type of buyer and let them take care of the repairs and issues with the City.

I would love to take a look at the situation and see if I can help. I am an expreienced short sale broker with access to several contractor/buyers. Please just give me a call or shoot me an email and I'll run by the property and look into the issue. Based on the zip code your property should be very close to me.

Marcus Vanzant
Marcus & Company Realty
2401 Manatee Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205
(941) 586-8352 direct
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 27, 2012
If your property is posted by the city or county authorities as "condemned" then your only option is to hire an attorney to represent your interests who will find out exactly what is going on with that property. You may get an exxplanation from the Broker of Record of the Real Estate office that your listing was with, but that is only history and won't solve your current problem. We, as REALTORS, or Real Estate licensees CAN NOT give legal advice to anyone. You need advice as to your legal responsibiity regarding the property, but also to represent you with your mortgage lender (although you certainly CAN/SHOULD call the mortgage servicer directly.)

Bottom line - no real estate agent or broker can answer this question. If you need a few names of experienced real estate attorneys, a real estate agent is a great resource for that!

Sorry about your negative experience - I hope you get it resolved and protect yourself as soon as possible!

Thanks and take care,
Karen Schwartz, Broker, GRI, SFR, 5-Star REO, TNC, ASR
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
Why haven't you been able to get in touch with the original realtor, Etrahan? If you cannot get in touch with him or her - speak with the owner of the R.E. office. I am pretty sure you will speak with him/her. If not - you will have to address it with the local governing body (probably, the Department of State).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
Hi there,
It sounds as though communication has broken down between yourself and your Realtor as well as with your lender. I'm very sorry to hear that. Perhaps the lender hired an asset management company to secure the property; they typically do this if a home is found vacant and they can't contact the Realtor. Depending on where you are in the process of forecloure there could still be time to correct the situation. I am local to the 34205 zip code and am an experienced short sale agent. I would be happy to look at the particulars and help any way possible. It is certainly in your best interest to complete a short sale rather than foreclosure.
Please contact me so that I can help!
Maryann Lawler, REALTOR, CLHMS, SFR
The Lawler Group
Keller Williams Realty, Inc.
(941) 587-4623
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
It sounds like there was a problem with the house;
Water leakage
Something that should not have happened if it was properly cared for.

Did you have a Property Management Contract with the Agent?
Did they have Insurance?

Your Homeowners insurance may take care of it, IF
Your Homeowners is still in force,
Your homeowners allows for it to be Vacant

Lots of questions, lots of possibilities

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer