Foreclosure in Maryland City>Question Details

Joel Maher, Real Estate Pro in Salisbury, MD

I have two certifications in Short Sales. If short sales make up 50% or more of our current market, why are agents not following the market and

Asked by Joel Maher, Salisbury, MD Tue Jul 13, 2010

becoming certified?!!!?

Answers

6
Joanna Morris’ answer
I do short sales because I care about the people who are having a true financial hardship. They really NEED US now more than ever to fight through the paperwork and get it done for them.

It is a difficult process and probably doesn't pay that well when you figure all the time it takes.

What I am finding now is that many agents are steering buyers away from the short sales with their negative comments. It is a real shame since short sale processes have improved for the most part.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 13, 2010
Certifications are nice, but they're not necessary. A good short sales negotiator needs to be persistent, and s/he needs to be concise and precise when handling the short-sale package. Short-sale negotiations isn't for everyone. Although I know how to do them, and I'll do them from time to time, they're not my primary focus. In fact, I prefer short-paper to short-sales, because they're cleaner and quicker.
Joel,

For us it is a internal decision to stay away from short sales. We do sell REO's though and that business is booming these days. Good luck to you.
I've just got my certificate...Very exciting when I was at the class. I would love to do this but one at a time. Knoledge is power yet time is money. I've wasted 3 months for a short sale it ended up my buyer was almost kicked out from their lease expecting to move to a new home. Didn't work well. What I've learned from it is that contract with short sale you have to tell your client 2,3, 4 or 10x that it is a long process you. I've done what I could.

To answer your question in my situation; I can't put all my effort to a short sale when I can find a motivated clients Seller/buyer that is willing and able. I don't steer them into non-short sale homes but I made them understand the process.

Real Estate!!! lots of learning everywhere and it gets overwhelming that sometimes we forgotten ourselves..
not sure they make up 50% of the market, but it's certainly a high percentage. it takes special talent, knowledge and perseverance to be successful at SS's. guess that's why we've seen more than 50% of the agents leave the industry.... answer to your question has to be related to the herding phenomenon - everyone jumps in to a good thing - i.e., 2003-2006 appreciation when everyone was selling and buying - but as the verse goes, when the sun comes up, the seed in rocky soil and shallow roots withers away.
I am not an agent but have wondered that. Is it the extra work and bother? I know some loan officers that won't take short sale cases. I have wasted timee but learned from them and try to apply that to new ones so we have a better outcome. Curious to see answers.