Foreclosure in West Islip>Question Details

Julo, Home Buyer in West Islip, NY

I currently rent a house from a lady who happens to be going through some sort of legal dispute over the

Asked by Julo, West Islip, NY Sat May 16, 2009

house with her ex-husband and someone he owes money to. She got dragged into this situation unfortunately. We'd like to possibly buy the house since we've heard it's probably going into foreclosure but we know nothing. How can we find out the status of this house if it's involved in the courts?? Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:


I agree with Carol, you should check with local town. If this is a pre-foreclsure status then all the offers are subject to bank's approval, the homeowner's decision is not final. You should save your money for your next rental or home purchase. You can also ask your landlord for the status (they may not tell you). Good Luck..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 16, 2009
You can check with the Town of Islip and the County to see if there are any liens or a lis pendens (notice of foreclosure) filed on the property.

You can ask your landlady about purchasing the home, but I would be very wary. Whether she got dragged into this, or jumped in willingly doesn't make a difference. There is something brewing here and you shouldn't wait around to see what happens. You should be socking away cash for either the purchase of this home, or another, or rent and security somewhere else.

It is a great time to purchase with the tax incentives available for first time home buyers, but you must close by November 30, 2009. Get yourself a good Real Estate attorney. I can recommend one if you so desire.

Carol Bromm, SRES, CBR
Associate Broker
Prudential Douglas Elliman, Babylon
631 422-8269
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 16, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer