Foreclosure in Clair Mel>Question Details

Snadra1219, Other/Just Looking in Tampa, FL

I am renting a house but I was told it is in foreclosure what are my rights. Tampa florida

Asked by Snadra1219, Tampa, FL Mon Feb 21, 2011

Answers

5
Snadra1219’s answer
I did some research and I found that my landlord currently owns 20 properties. 6 are in foreclosure. He has all of them rented. He told me that he is being foreclosed on and it would take any where from 1yr or more. He is not wanting to get out of foreclosure he just wants to make money off it all and that he has his Lawyer pushing the forclosures off. He sounds like a pro.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Hi Again,

You may eventually get "served" a notice by a process server or the sheriff's office that will notify you when the Lis Pendens has been filed (if it hasn't already occurred). Your neighbors may not know why the sheriff is at your door!

Also you will get served again when the foreclosure auction date is set.

In the meantime to "stall" the process he may do a short sale and Realtors will be showing the place to their clients.

Also if you are in an HOA or condo complex, it's possible the HOA or Condo's attorney will require you to make payment directly to them if the owner is not paying the fees (most likely).

Go here and pull up the landlord's name (lookup the legal name at hiistax.org by your address):
http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/search_official_records.aspx

you can track the owner's history for the various foreclosures and see if a foreclosure is imminent for your property.

You may have the right to stay until your lease expires--as long as your lease is for "market rates". If you're getting discount rent below market value then the eventual owner or bank (if they foreclose) may not be requried to allow you to stay until your lease expires.

Now the real inconvenience is if your landlord decides to try a pre foreclosure, Short Sale. You will then be required to allow Realtors and their buyers to see the rental with less than 24 hours notice to you. A lockbox may be installed on the front door.

If you chose not to pay your lease payments, your landlord can file an eviction against you. I see it happen all of the time. You don't want to injure your credit history with an eviction.

You may have other legal rights so you may want to consult with an attorney--especially if you want to break your lease so you don't have to allow stranger in for showings.
You need to contact your lender is find out if it is true. you may contact 888-995-HOPE
to find out your right. You don't need to send money to hire a lawyer.
As for any legal rights you may have, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate , he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation.