Foreclosure in 90403>Question Details

Jim, Other/Just Looking in Johnson, AR

I am living in a rented condo which is in ownership limbo due to a foreclosure the HOA has just asked me to

Asked by Jim, Johnson, AR Tue Jul 1, 2008

start paying HOA dues on a condo I do not own. They are threatening to put a lien on my property if I don't start paying. Is this legal

Answers

6
Jim,

The delinquinte HOA is grounds for the HOA foreclosing on the condo. You the tenant have rights. They must go through the full eviction process where if they want you out they will offer you money/cash to help you move. Tenants can stay without paying rent until the eviction process is complete. They cannot expect you to pay HOA fees on behalf of the owner and they certainly cannot put a lien on your property if you do not pay.

Violette Beshay
They can not collect by putting a lien against your personal property.
Dyanna
I believe they are threatening to go after other property to collect the HOA dues
car, TV etc.
Jim why are you worried? If the condo is not yours, the lien would not be yours either. The lien would go against the property.

Dyanna
I am not really trying to buy the condo we are just waiting to see what
happens as this is a good time to be living rent free. How can non owner
be asked to pay Home OWNERS dues?
Are you trying to purchase this condo yourself? I would need more detail on this matter.