Foreclosure in Anoka County>Question Details

lisahansen411, Home Owner in Andover, KS

I am filling out my divorce papers and it is asking me if I own property. My house is IN forclosure. So do I say no, or do I say yes?

Asked by lisahansen411, Andover, KS Sun Apr 7, 2013

Answers

4
I can't give you legal advice. My understanding is that you own the property until you don't. The trick is in determining exactly when in the foreclosure process you no longer own the proerty.

It looks like you're in Andover KS but the question is posted in Andover MN. The foreclosure process is going to vary from state to state. You can try speaking with the foreclosing lender and asking exactly when does ownership transfer from you to the foreclosing lender. Then armed with that knowledge, speak to someone familiar with the divorse paperwork and ask how to complete that answer.
Technically, you own your home until the foreclosure hammer finally falls. So at the moment, you do own it. But an attorney can advise you the best way to frame your answer.
Hi, lisahansen411!!

So sorry about your divorce!! Been there, and no matter how amicable, it's still not easy.

That's a tough one. I would say since you're in the process of letting it go, you might just as well say "no".

HOWEVER!!!! I concur with my good colleague here, Mr. James. Consult your attorney. If your divorce attorney doesn't know, ask him for a referral to a real estate attorney who can advise you appropriately as to the propriety of your reply.

Good luck and hope there are better times ahead!!
Ask your attorney to advise you on this one.