Foreclosure in Los Angeles>Question Details

Marvin, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

I am currently renting but have been receiving mail about the house being sold via foreclosure. How can I find out if it has been sold or auctioned?

Asked by Marvin, Los Angeles, CA Sat Dec 4, 2010

The landlord doesn't want to give me information so I'm trying to go around it because I'm not going to be paying for a home that the landlord no longer owns. Any way I can obtain this information?

Help the community by answering this question:


Doesn't that flyer have a phone number for sale information?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
Also remember that if the house was indeed foreclosed, you have rights under the law as a tenant and make sure they are repsected. A single Family Residence that in owned by the bank through a foreclosure procedure is included under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance of the City of Loa Angeles (rent control) and this means you can only be evicted for just cause (mainly failure to pay)... thus you have to make sur you pay your rent, but to the right party... You can check with an attorney (I have one in my office if you wish to contact him) or with Legal Aide...

Best of luck! (and dont let them take advantage of you -you have rights!)

Ron Escobar, MBA
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 15, 2011
You can check via a website called they will give you a free trial & you can search by address to see if it is in foreclosure. If you need help, let me know, I track foreclosures in Los Angeles County on a regular basis. I have a link for foreclosure searches on my site
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 1, 2011
Hello Marvin,
If you give your address, it would be fairly easy to get that info for you, however, regardless of who owns the property, you as a renter need to pay rent as is your obligation through your lease. If you have a security deposit on the line and the landlord is not cooperating with you regarding their ownership status, then also try calling the housing authority. Good luck.
Richard "RJ" Kas (SFR, SRES)
"Representing the finest properties from Los Angeles worldwide"
KAS Properties - Coldwell Banker Previews International - Beverly Hills East
9388 Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310.859-5334 office - 310.488.9826 mobile - 310-273-0670 fax ATT: RJ - - DRE: 01352771
Sellers Buyers Investors Leasing Consulting
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
Regardless of who owns the home, you owe rent to the actual and current owner while you stay in the home.
My recommendation is to do the following:
Send a certified letter to the owner requesting he update you, in writing, of the status of the ownership of the home/ apartment. This serves as a good record for you that you attempted to ascertain ownership.
Then, get a current preliminary title report. Any of us (local Realtors) can get one for you. This will tell you the status of all liens against the property. Your landlord may still own the property, but there may be tax liens, homeowners liens, etc. that put the property in jeopardy of foreclosure.
When a property changes hands, the lease stays with the property. If the property has been sold, and the landlord no longer holds title, you do not owe him rent, but you DO owe rent. Send a certified letter to the current owner to request information on who will be managing the property and collecting rents. That way, you can stay in your home but be assured that every cent you pay will be credited towards your rent, and your credit will stay intact.
Best of luck,
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) 818.564.6591
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi Marvin

You should get in touch with John below and he can give you the details in less than five minutes.
Also you can call the county accessors office or county records to see if there has been
a change of ownership.

There should have been an auction date and time mentioned on the notice that may have been taped
To your door. If the date has come and gone, it means either the home has been auctioned or the owner has been able to differ the sale.

But be careful with regards to not paying your rent, if the owner reports you, your credit can be ruined if he is still the rightful owner.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Check with your local Title company or if you give me the address I can check for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010

I can give you the info in just a few minutes. Call me anytime 323.401.5994. It is just a matter of looking up public records...easy to find out.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Regardless of whether or not your landlord's property is in pre-foreclosure, his loan and your lease are 2 entirely separate issues. S/he could evict you if you were to stop paying, and s/he could report that to various credit bureaus. If you're concerned about your deposit, lease terms, etc, then it makes more sense for you to have a heart-to-heart with your landlord.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi Marvin,

If the property has been foreclosed upon and the title has actually transferred back to the lender, then it would be a matter of public record and the change in ownership would be accessible by doing a title search. If you would like to email me the address of the property, I would be happy to look it up for you. My email address is:

Have a good day!

John Barry
DRE #01856079
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Cell: 323-810-7976
Twitter: @RealtorJB
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer