Foreclosure in Swampscott>Question Details

Smayo, Home Owner in Swampscott, MA

I am current on my mortgage but behind on my property taxes...what are the consequences of this? the town will publish my info on june 27. swampscott,

Asked by Smayo, Swampscott, MA Sun Jun 19, 2011

Answers

6
Call your Mortgage Company and tell them you have not paid your taxes. They will pay it for you and you can spread it out over a couple of years.
The state owns your home first and foremost within the USA.

Considering how absolutely desperate governments are becoming I would expect you to be kicked out so the state can find a more reliable revenue source.

Tent cities are popping up everywhere.
Yes in some towns they will publish in the newspaper and eventually could put a lien on your property as well.
Taxes trump mortgage. Unless the taxes are paid, you cannot sell the home. The town CAN take the house for non-payment. You will have to account for that if you anticipate selling.

When we've completed short sales, we've included the taxes in the price for the lender to pay at closing. This way the homeowner did not have to come to thee closing with $$ out of pocket.

Hello Home Owner,
The town will end up placing a lien on your home for the taxes owed. If you attempt to sell your home then the lien will have to be paid off with any fines that are due as well. Property taxes take priority over any other liens including your mortgage. As Andrew stated, the town may begin proceedings to take over your property and sell it to obtain the taxes owed.
Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Eventually the town will foreclose for non payment of real estate taxes.