Foreclosure in 94131>Question Details

Arch_angel, Other/Just Looking in 04103

How do I find out who is that bank that holds the title to the house I am leasing in San Francisco, CA.?

Asked by Arch_angel, 04103 Wed Sep 23, 2009

The house is set for a Foreclosure sale on Oct. 8, 2009

Answers

2
Jeff Woo’s answer
You can do down to the Recorder's office and do a title search. You should be able to find who is the beneficiary of the deed of trust that has filed the Notice of Default. Also, the Notice of Default itself may tell you.

The process is not that easy for the uninitiated. If you know the name of your landlord, you would look up that name on the index. From there, you can follow the trail of title to find the deed of trust, etc.

If you want the easy way, you can use an online property search service, but there will be a charge.

By the way, as a tenant in San Francisco, you maintain all your rights as a tenant under the Rent Ordinance even if the property is foreclosed.

Jeffery Woo, Esq.
Complex Rental Property Group
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
415-627-3607
jeff.woo@sdma.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 23, 2009
I would go to the SF Rent Board if I was you. With a foreclosure sale set for such a short time you need some advice on what are your rights under the lease, San Francisco's and California's law. They might be able to help you with who the property is owned by. If not remember ownership records are public records and you can look them up at City Hall.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA