Foreclosure in 91387>Question Details

Heidi, Home Buyer in Sylmar, CA

How do I find out if a previous mortgage is active on a property that was sold?

Asked by Heidi, Sylmar, CA Wed May 27, 2009

I recently bought a REO in los angeles county. Later in the mail there was a letter addressed to the first owner of the property (not the ones who lost the home later to foreclosure) the letter said it searched records for existing mortgages that qualify for the refinance opportunities. I know maybe they are just trying to get business but why would they waste their time sending a letter to someone who hasn't owned the property for several years unless somewhere the mortgage is listed as active. And if so where does that put me?

Answers

2
Steve Ornellas’ answer
Hi Heidi, I agree with Marc below, this is just junk mail being generated off of an old database. In addition, there's no way the title company would have closed escrow without making sure you had clear title (this includes making sure no prior existing loans were still against the property).

Best, Steve
Your question is simple, these companies send out hundred of thousands of those letters (junk mail) and many are sent to homeowners like yourself. I refinanced my house and still I get letters about my prior mortgage that my home qualifies for new lower rate even thought that bank does not even hold the mortgage. Just recycle the paperwork, that’s the only good use of those letters. Any other questions, please call or email me. Marc
Web Reference: http://www.MarcSchwartz.com