Foreclosure in Los Angeles>Question Details

gaytan5271, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

How can I find out what is really going on with the house i'm renting in LA my landlord wont tell me anything.?

Asked by gaytan5271, Los Angeles, CA Wed Mar 27, 2013

Answers

7
Nicolas Romo’s answer
Eventually, you'll either receive a notice in the mail from the bank or a flyer from a real estate agent and/or someone will knock on your door offering foreclosure help. If you want to find out sooner, go to your local title company and ask if they can run a title profile report on your rental. In most cases, the title profile report will show if there is any foreclosure activity.

Nicolas Romo
562-373-5120
Why are you worried about the house?

Has anyone placed any notice of any kind on the property?

Has the landlord stopped keeping up the property recently?

How long have you been renting the home?

If you fear the home may be in some stage of foreclosure, there is little you can do.
Even if landlord is not paying mortgage as long as you reside in the home you have an obligation to pay your rent. If you fail to o so the landlord can still pursue eviction process against you.

If you have a landlord who is not communicating with you, sounds like you may need to give 30 day notice and move out in compliance with the rental agreement to avoid having the rug pulled from under you when you least expect it.

Best of Luck to You!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
A similar thing happened to us Twice, with two different landlords back to back a few years ago. we were getting the notices of foreclosure. I was told one of the things we could do would be to open a private escrow account and each month place the rent in it rather than give it to the landlord, but to make sure it is ALL there. We ended up discussing the issue with the landlord and told them of our concerns, they released us from the lease. You can open an escrow account that your landlord has NO access too but show him your intent to make good on your lease until everything is cleared up, or either foreclosed on.
Flag Tue Jul 9, 2013

What are your concerns with the house?
Hhmmm.... that is a good sign that something maybe wrong. Either way, up till the day the property is foreclosed on or sold, as long as you are under a lease you still owe the rent. Speak to an attorney about the issue and see.
There are a lot of people still in trouble with their mortgages these days. It may be wise to start looking around so that you, at least, don't end up in situation that causes you severe stress and angst. Check out your options now when there is no pressure. Who knows, you may be able to improve your situation and be happier with a new place.
You don't need to call a title company, they will want to charge you a fee since you don't have an opened escrow or a purchase contract with the owner.

I can give you the answer right now.

Just shoot me an email directly with the property address & I can look it up for you. I can check to see when the next auction date has been set by the beneficiary & give you an idea of what kind of time line you're looking at for when the foreclosure could occur.

I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for answers after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Good advice from Nicolas.

Just a note, though: While it's completely understandable that you'd like to know what's going on with the house, understand that the owner is under no obligation to comply with your requests.
Thanks, Don. Great night!
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA