Foreclosure in Orinda Downs>Question Details

Sonja, Other/Just Looking in 94115

How can I find out more about a foreclosure property without having to pay for RealtyTrac?

Asked by Sonja, 94115 Thu Feb 3, 2011

Who do you contact if you are interested to find out more about a foreclosed property listing? I don't have a real estate agent yet. Is there a way to find out when actions are happening and what the process is?

Answers

13
The HUD homes (government owned foreclosures) are on the link below. There are many bank owned homes that are listed with your local mls. A local real estate agent will be able to set you up on an automated home search. When a new home in your criteria is listed, it is sent to you immediately.
Good Luck,
Christine
Web Reference: http://www.hudhomestore.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
Keep in mind that RealtyTrac's information may not always be accurate and oftentimes can be misleading--you could be looking at a lis pendens property--notice of default--or some other fee--some of those properties may not be for sale yet, and some may never be, if the default is satisfied by the owner. If you are interested in foreclosures, work with an agent--he/she will have access to free and reliable information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
Sonja,
Your realtor is your partner and consultant. We pay for tools, not the client.
Good luck to you!
Suzanne
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
So.....I have this pain in my side, I think where my appendix is supposed to be, but I haven't called a doctor yet. Do you have access to a medical journal so I can diagnose myself and perhaps operate with a spoon and some whiskey?

Not to be (too) flip BUT: What exactly are you afraid of in calling a Realtor for advice? Most agents will give you any and all information that you need on the off chance you may end up working with them.

Real Estate is very specialized, especially when you are wading into the cesspool of auctions, reo's and short sales.

If you are interested in educating yourself and entering this market you have two choices. Educate yourself and pay $49 for one month of RealtyTrac (after free trial) OR interview a few agents that are experienced in this type of transaction and be an informed Buyer/Investor using the services of a professional.

The only other option is to be chum swimming in the shark tank.

Best of LUCK!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
The best way is to get a realtor, even if it is just for information purposes
Sonjia,

Go to down to the county offices on a regular basis or watch the NOD lists in the local papers.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Hi Sonja,

http://www.orindahomesearch.com

You can set up your own custom searches, including foreclosures, short-sales, and/or regular sales.
I don't understand why you or anyone else would pay RealtyTrac. The information is out there for free, and it's way more accurate than RealtyTrac.

Just contact a local Realtor. It's that simple. It's free, and the information will be accurate.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
http://www.lpsasap.com/

This website will give you some idea, do keep in mind it may not cover everything you are seeking. Even if you are considering bidding on a home at the court (which you need all cash) it is strongly advisable to seek the advice of a reliable, trustworthy agent who is familiar with the process, and the risk involved.

It can save you a lot of money in the long run if you purchase a property only to find out you purchased the second lien and now you own the first lien along with any other attachments.

Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
Hi Sonja,
Many real estate agents, such as myself, have full access to the foreclosure properties and their current status. If you send me the address, I am more than happy to give you an update. I will warn you that if you are trying to acquire a property when it hits the courthouse steps, you can only purchase it via cash (i.e. cashier's check). Also, some of the properties that are in the foreclosure process (i.e. Notice of Default has been filed) pop up on the MLS as a short sale first. And inevitably, the property's courthouse sale date gets postponed as the original borrower and lender try and work out an agreement. I can go into this in greater detail if you want, just let me know.

Brian
I am not an agent either but my experience with foreclosure auctions is that the start the bidding at what is owed on the property so if the property is distressed and there is a large sum owed on it that is not the way to go. You can usually go to your county offices and get information on who owns a house and how to contact them but the bank will not talk to you unless the house has been foreclosed and it is final. My suggestion is to have a realitor or get on google maps and click on real estate. It will show you 95% of the houses that are on the market.
Sonia,

Most Realtors can help you find any information about foreclosures properties in the area. Just contact an agent you know or feel comfortable with and they will help you out.
Web Reference: http://www.BrokerDawson.com
I subscribe to ForeclosureRadar. Tell me which property you're looking at and I will send you the information about the scheduled auction, what type of notice was received (Notice of Default, Notice of Trustee Sale), who the lenders are.

If you aren;t working with a realtor, it will help a lot to engage one who can serve you in this regard. Most foreclosed properties will be listed via a realtor who will then post the information on the MLS. All of us can pull up specific properties for sale as regular sales, foreclosures or short sales.