Question Details

Nate Oskar,  in 86336

Does your state use Title Companies or Attorneys to close escrow?

Asked by Nate Oskar, 86336 Thu Jul 5, 2007

In the State of Arizona we use Title Companies and it seems to be a great system. I was just curious what your state does.

Help the community by answering this question:


Typically in Georgia, an attorney representing the funding entity conducts the closing. It works well due do the other aspects of title in the state of Georgia. In California we use the services of a title company - again, typically chosen by the seller - but every case is different.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
Massachusetts is a state that uses attorneys to close real estate transactions.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2007
Texas uses title companies in most cases, but often these offices are run by attorneys.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi Nate,

This is my understanding as explained to me in the past by attorneys. Georgia is one of a few states that has non-judicial foreclosure laws on the books; therefore, since the purchaser is basically waiving a constitutional right, an attorney must perform the closing in lieu of a title company. There are some limited circumstances where I know an attorney may not be used (i.e. taking out a home equity line). I've included some links below that describes the differences between judicial & non-judicial foreclosure as well as a list describing what procedure each state has at its disposal. - Ted Shoop
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
It depends upon your area. When I work in FL we use title, when I work in NC we use attorneys
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 6, 2007
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer