Foreclosure in Sacramento>Question Details

Maria, Home Buyer in Lake Elsinore, CA

Does anyone know how to get pre-foreclosure listings in California? The only one I know is realtytrac.com.

Asked by Maria, Lake Elsinore, CA Fri Dec 11, 2009

Answers

5
I use foreclosureradar.com but you have to login and check them. you can look in a variety of ways. There is a 30 day free trial. It really helps me when I am talking to sellers and doing short sales to be able to track Notice of Defaults.
Notices of default in California must still be published on old fashioned newsprint in the county where the foreclosed property is and will be foreclosed upon.

Subscriptions to local papers in your counties of interest will being you most of the listings that you want to know about.

I agree with Jefferson, the information is also out there for free. Realty Trac aggregates all that publicly free information. If you want to pay for that service, Realty Trac will be happy to process your payment.

I also agree with Scott, having too many listings too sort through is very time consuming. Its like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Good Morning Maria,

Preforeclosure listing information is time consuming and sometimes frustrating as Realty Trac picks up all homes in default and puts them on their site. The seller still can negotiate with the bank or bring their mortgage current to avoid teh foreclosure. In most cases they owe more than the house is worth and can not sell. As they are already in default, a short sale is unlikely due to time constraints. Your best bet is to check the auction postings themselves for your county. You can get form the Sherriff or the registry of deeds. In most areas there usually is a periodical that lists weekly or monthly auctions for you and a small subscription fee of course. You can also check your papers for the leading auctioners and check their web sites daily for auctions. Good luck with your search.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Maria,

Your County will have a Web site, with the latest Sheriff Sale Auctions. I'd stay away from realtytrac. It's expensive, often outdated, and many people have trouble when they try to cancel.

Most really good foreclosure info is free. If you're interested in this stuff, you'll want to learn how to do your own rough title searches to find what liens a property has.