Foreclosure in 95133>Question Details

Unspecified, Renter in Troy, MI

Do you still have to pay rent if the home is now owned by the county?

Asked by Unspecified, Troy, MI Tue Apr 2, 2013

I live in Michigan and I have a 12month lease agreement with the Property Management. I receive a letter from the county stating that the tax's on the location I am renting haven't been paid and the location is now forfeited and is now owned by the county. I was wondering do i still have to pay the Property Management knowing that the County owns the location now until it is auction?

Answers

5
Your lease agreement is between you and the OWNER of the property. The property management company is the administrator of the lease. As suggested you need to:

1) Verify that the letter you received from the County is really from the County and not someone trying to scam you. Go to the County directly and take your lease agreement with you.

2) Contact the Property Manager and show them the letter you received from the County.

Understand laws vary by state. You will need to get IN WRITING any changes to the terms of the lease agreement, this means who now owns the property is the who owns the lease, and who is administering the payments. You still own rent it's just a matter of who you pay it to.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 3, 2013
Did you find out what you were supposed to do? I'm in the same situation in hamtramck mi. Please let me know if possible. Thanks, kim
Thank you for your question:

This is a legal question.

I recommend that you contact an Attorney.

If you cannot afford an Attorney, I recommend that you contact the local legal aid society. The Attorneys for the legal aid society are very good and they do not charge any money.

I recommend that you contact the property management company and give them a copy of the letter that you received from The County. Get a written response from The Property Management Company and keep that written response in your records.

One matter that you need to keep in mind is that if you stop paying rent, the property management company can take legal action against you, even though The County notified you that The County now owns the property.

That is one of the reasons that you need to talk with an Attorney.

I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. However the good news is that based on your statement, you are in a very strong position, but you really need an Attorney to help you with this.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408()509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
I agree with Juliana Lee and would also advice you not to pay rent to the Property Management company as it would be waste of money and still will have to pay to the new owner. The county will probably ask you to pay rent from the point they notified you that they were the owner.
Your question showed up under zip 95133 which is San Jose, California. I don't know Michigan law or practices but my advice would be do not pay rent to the Property Management company. Use the letter you received to get hold of the county and ask what they want you to do.

There is a possibility that the county could ask you for rent from the point they notified you that they were the owner. Paying money to the property management company could amount to throwing your money away and still needing to pay rent to the county. Also unfortunately you probably have lost your cleaning deposit. If your city or county has rent mediation set up, try and talk to someone to try and get your cleaning deposit back.

Juliana Lee
650-857-1000
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty

Over 30 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com