Foreclosure in Albuquerque>Question Details

Kaerok1, Home Buyer in Albuquerque, NM

Do all hud homes get remodeled as far as new carpet,flooring and or paint?

Asked by Kaerok1, Albuquerque, NM Mon Aug 24, 2009

No. HUD homes are sold in "as is" condition. They have not been repaired sense the late 1970's.
Prior to that time they were fully repaired and sold with a "bumper to bumper" warranty.
Web Reference:
Not only do they not get remodeled the broken windows do not even get fixed just boarded up.
Web Reference:
No, HUD Homes are sold in the condition they are left. The only time I have ever seen one repaired is when the previous owner was trying to make the renovation themselves but was foreclosed on in the process. HUD will also set asside repair escrow on badly damaged homes that the buyer will have to pay for and have completed with the escrow, such as a large hole in the roof, broken foundation, broken heating system, or burst water pipe before the buyer can occupy the property. For more information you can view the asset managers website below.
I have sold many HUD homes and have never seen one remodeled. If HUD can not sell a home they will put the house up for bid to a charity type organization at a low price. I have seen some bank homes that have been remodeled but this is also rare. If you have any additional questions about HUD or bank properties please email me at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 14, 2009
HUD secures the homes they take ownership of and makes them safe. They will occasionally do some very basic repairs, but they do not remodel. Investors often look to buy HUDs to remodel themselves, but HUD does not usually do any of that. The best iddea is to get out there and see a few. Some are great deals and others are not. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance any time. Best of luck!
No, all HUD homes do not get remodeled.
Best wishes,
Brandon DENT