Foreclosure in Houston>Question Details

Groundstryker, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Can we be forced out of our home due to the owner being sued for back taxes?

Asked by Groundstryker, New York, NY Fri Sep 14, 2012

I owner financed a house and land over three years ago. I've done lots of remodeling and landscaping. Today, I discovered that the owner owes almost $6,000.00 in back taxes. Will my family and I have to just eat it and move, or do we have an alternative that can put us in control of the home and land? No contract has been signed as of yet. We don't want a foreclosure to happen underneath us and be forced to move. If anything, what can we do?

Answers

4
Groundstryker,

You need to lawyer up…the sooner the better. Good luck.
As others have stated and is most definitely true, you have no choice but to seek the advise of an attorney, even if you plan to move or walk away.

Your attorney should:
Examine the existing contract to determine your equity interest in the property, if any.
Tax purchase options available, if any.
Encumbrance options if any.
Durability of the contract.

This is where the value of an attorney, when you entered the owner financed deal, would have been very beneficial.

Only an attorney can provide you actionable guidance. Call one asap.
The short answer is yes you can. This is one of the biggest caveats of owner-financing deals. I would contact a Real Estate Lawyer to help you navigate through this legal maze. Best of luck.

Nadeem

281-795-0715
nadeem@qrealty.biz
This is a situation that requires the input of an attorney specializing in real estate law. Realtors are prohibited from conveying any information that could be interpreted as legal advice or the practice of law. I suggest that you get in touch with an attorney immediately ... best of luck.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@algeffon.com
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon