Foreclosure in Burnt Store>Question Details

Angela Good, Home Owner in Cape Coral, FL

Can the city of Cape Coral foreclose on a paid off home over the water assesment?

Asked by Angela Good, Cape Coral, FL Wed May 25, 2011

I have a home in Cape Coral that was payed off 4 years ago, before the fall of the economy. Since then they brought the water through my area. I've at most have been able to work 20 to 25 hrs a week in Construction at about $300.00 a week before taxes and child support.,which they will not reduce even though I am making 1/2 of what I use to make. Take out $65.00 aweek for taxes and $65.00 a week for child support, that leaves me with $170.00 a week,. I live by myself so I have only 1 income, with gas prices and higher prices across the board there is no extra money. I've managed to pay about $1200.00 on the Bill (when I've had better weeks), which started at $7500.00 and has gone to $17000.00 They are giving me 3 weeks to pay it off or they said they are going to start forecloser proceedings. I can find other work but every one wants to pay $8.00 Hr, $20.00 a week more than I make now. That will go real far. I've been in my home since 1990 and I have no place else to go, I need help!

Help the community by answering this question:


Interesting. I am not sure where you live in Cape Coral, but I would contact your City Councilman and ask for guidance and support. There is a hardship program which you can look into. I think you need an advocate, and no one in the City wants you to lose your home over the assessments. There is help for you. There are also programs that put off paying until you sell. They do offer options. I think you need to get into a long term payment plan. The assessment is just like taxes. They have to be paid. Good Luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 26, 2011
Really sorry to hear this story which I am sure you are speaking for many people in the same boat as you. I have heard there are positions available at Pall Corp. You must apply through Kelly Services in Ft. Myers. Good luck to you.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2011" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
Cell: 239-464-8620
Website to Access the MLS:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 26, 2011
Thanks Guys, My boss told me to get a lawyer today and I did make an appointment for tomorrow and I told him today I should call FOX 4. I guess I'm on the right path. Thanks for your imput. I'm still open to any other advice. Thanks again HHB
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Have you filed for the hardship program? The city does offer that each year for those that cannot afford to pay their utility assessments.

If they aren't willing to work with you I would get an attorney and take it to the news. City Council might be a willing audience also.

I truly wish you the best,

Danielle Sharp
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Good Question...take it to FOX4...I would like to see this one on the Air!

Good Luck!

Patrick Raymond
Nautical Realty Group, Inc
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Hire a lawyer, explain your situation and make a deal with the lawyer to pay him for his services. It's worth saving your home. Lots of these hook-up fees were simply added to your tax bill and you pay a portion each year with the taxes getting them paid over time. Did you homestead your property?

Good Luck

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer