Foreclosure in Newark>Question Details

Cas, Home Owner in Newark Airport and P...

Can my HOA foreclose on my condo if I haven't paid my special assessment. I pay my primary maintenance fee, but I haven't paid my special

Asked by Cas, Newark Airport and Port Newark, Newark, NJ Tue Nov 30, 2010

assessment.

Answers

3
Most HOA have the right to foreclose on your property so I would definetely read your HOA paperwork to be sure.
Hi: please read the Governing documents of your HOA and seek legal advise. If the special assessment is allowed, according to the Governing documents, there may not be anything you can do but pay them. The association probably has the right to place a Lien on your home and probably collection fees, etc. I do not know the particulars of your situation, but you should seek guidance before they start collection proceedings.

Bernie
It is pretty amazing the power the HOA's have on people properties. I am a Realtor in Florida and they can put liens here. Call the Legal Aid Society for help or a local Real Estate lawyer for NJ laws and see if they can help. Best of luck to you.