Foreclosure in Burnsville>Question Details

Matilda, Home Buyer in Burnsville, MN

Can anyone tell me how much I can expect to pay to de-winterize a townhouse for inspection? The seller (bank) accepted our offer today & my

Asked by Matilda, Burnsville, MN Wed Dec 30, 2009

realtor said to expect about $100-$150.... is this realistic? He is a fairly new realtor & hasn't sold a foreclosed home in over a year. I do not have a plumber of my own, my realtor said he could get one for me. Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:


Keith Manson- Metro Milwaukee Wisconsin’s answer
I would try to push back and have the contractors for the bank to de winterized. It makes sense the contractor who winterized to de winterize because of the issues with the dewinterized there may issues an liability questions. All most all reo's that I have sold or written contracts have agreed to de winterize the property.

Check your addendum and have your agent to discuss with listing agent to see if they will do the de winterization.

The cost of $250 seems like a reasonable cost for the normal type of winterization. However, the winterization cost can very by location and type of heat. If you have hot water heat the cost could possibly double. But keep in mind that you are getting opinon from realtors and not contractors.

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certifed Distressed Property Expert
Metro Miwlaukee
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 31, 2009
Here in Chicagoland our Preservation companies charge us about $150
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
I would contact a reputable plumbing company and ask. However, $100 is pretty average. There are number of companies including Genz Ryan in Burnsville. You could also consult with the inspector you hired to inspect the home. You did have the home inspected I hope.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
Just a note from the resident REO listing agent. Several of the larger asset management companies will NOT pay for dewinterizing for an inspection (or inspections). They will allow the buyer to do so at his/her cost and the buyer can choose their own plumber.

And you will not negotiate it that out of the contract. Have had a number of people try and so far...

I know it sounds stubborn and maybe even silly, but it is what it is.

Shoot, as a listing agent I have even paid for one or two myself to get the deal done. No more. I guess I can be stubborn too :>) Well, maybe go half with the buyer agent. On second thought, since they do get paid more than I do I'll go 40/60.

But right now the banks have really slowed down taking on REO inventory. There has been no problem selling these properties and most have gotten multiple offers this last year. So I guess the banks can be a bit stubborn.

We will see what 2010 brings.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
Generally, the Listing Agent will have a plumber who does this for between $90 to $150 and they will NOT allow you to bring in your own plumber.

Also, de-winterizing may need to be done for multiple inspections. You want to try to schedule them together to limit your costs, if you can. De-winterizing will definitely need to be done for an FHA Inspection (if you are getting a FHA mortgage), you definitely will want it de-winterized for your own inspection, and in many cases it will also need to be de-winterized for the appraiser.

If you are lucky, you might be able to work it out so that more than one of the inspections are done on the same day. There may be a way to have the heat turned on (in the interum) if the inspections/appraisals are done within a short timeframe, but that is also going to be a bit difficult to arrange.

And I am so sorry that this has happened to you, but since the offer has been accepted, there is no way to change it now. Many of these issues could have been negotiated as part of the Purchase Agreement. I generally add a clause to the Purchase Agreement that states the Seller pays the costs of de-winterizing and winterizing, especially when you may need multiple inspections/appraisals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
$125 is what I have seen to winterize or dewinterize.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 31, 2009
$100-$150 sounds right. If you don't get this house, have your Realtor write into the next offer that the bank will pay to de-winterize. Some banks will pay, and some won't.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 31, 2009
The cost of de-winterization/re-winterization can vary significantly based on location. In addition, the bank may not allow you to have your plumber de-winterize the home. In many cases, the bank has their own contractors who have a set rate for de-winterization/re-winterization. It is important for the buyer to check any addendum(a) that are part of the purchase and sales agreement, as the rate for de-winterization/re-winterization is sometimes stipulated therein.

The advantage of having the bank use their own contractors is that any damage that is incurred in the de-winterization process is normally the responsibility of the bank. Nonetheless, read all agreements very carefully and best of luck with your new home purchase.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
Correct, $250 (total) , because, as I said, most probably, Seller will winterized the property after inspection.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
As a long time REO agent, I know a plumber should be able to dewinterize the townhouse for about $125.00 to $150.00. Benito's price is that of winterizing and dewinterizing.

Or he is paying way too much :>)

I have a couple of plumbers who do it for this price range. The exception would be if damage had been done to the plumbing, but if it were professionally winterized this should not be a problem.

There should be stickers on the plumbing at the townhouse with contact numbers. You should call them to see what they charge.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
Also, check with your Mortgage persona and ask if Appraisal requires the water to be on.

Once you finished inspection, seller most likely will winterized it again. And if Mortgage requires water on, seller and listing agent must know about it.

Sorry, but that is what I could tell based on what you posted.

Best on you purchase!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
Hi, $225 to $250
FIRST: ask the listing agent for an authorization to de winterized the property. Once you have approval, then, ask them for a refrerral of the company that winterized it. City needs to be contacted to "connect" (turn on) the watter. At the time of the dewinterization, the company/person doing it must check for leackage around the house.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 30, 2009
Maryland Property Rentals, LLC, Annapolis, MD

Our company handles winterization and property preservation work orders and we usually charge anywhere between $300 and $800 per servicing depending on number of bedrooms and living space. Our Maryland Property Preservation team is now accepting appointments for vacant homes listed with Realtors or managed by home owners in Maryland and DC to start WINTER MAINTENANCE INSPECTIONS including FURNACE Checks as well. We are also a full service property management firm so call us at 240 -206 - 6044 to request a quote or setup an appointment.
Flag Mon Nov 24, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer