Foreclosure in Miramar>Question Details

Desiree S., Home Seller in Miramar, FL

Can I be held responsible if my husband's home forecloses?

Asked by Desiree S., Miramar, FL Tue Jan 27, 2009

After we were married, my husband purchased a home that is solely in his name (both the mortgage and title). If that home forecloses, can/will the mortgage company come after me? What happens if we legally separate or divorce? Does that prevent me from being held responsible?

Answers

7
Desiree,
You best best is to Consult with a Real Estate Attorney,
Rick.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 27, 2009
I would also recommend that you consult with a good real estate attorney.. This could end up being a very important for issue your financial future.
"My ex-wife was awarded the house in the divorce. I can't get my name off the loan because she never pays it on time. She hasn't paid in six months and now is letting it go and filing bankruptcy. If the house gets foreclosed can they come after me?"
Check and see if the home is a homestead property and check Florida laws with a real estate attorney.
Rick is on top of this, as always, see an attorney as it involves all sorts of issues, like how is the title held, when the divorce comes final, is the divorce a dodge, on and on.
An Attorney will ask you 40 questions or get 40 answers from Documents before he would answer. Some of the questions quite personnel.

John

John
Confer with your family law attorney. HOWEVER general rule of thumb if your name IS NOT on mortgage, you did not sign any financial obligations to lender, title, not reported to credit bureau files, he can legally sale home w/o your signature you MIGHT NOT be held responsible. Law needs to be investigated further research involved.

DISCLAIMER: Answer is based on your author statement.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com