Foreclosure in Detroit>Question Details

Nonnie Cat, Other/Just Looking in Detroit, MI

CAN MY LANDLORD EVICT ME FOR NON PAYMENT OF RENT IF HIS PROPERTY IS IN FORECLOSURE? IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN & CITY OF DETROIT?

Asked by Nonnie Cat, Detroit, MI Sat Sep 26, 2009

I RENT FROM A RENTAL MANAGEMENT CO... THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY IS IN FORECLOSURE... AM I STILL OBLIGATED TO PAY RENT ? OR WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? THE MANAGEMENT CO WON'T FIX ANYTHING WITHOUT HIS PRIOR CONSENT... HE IS NOT RESPONDING AND IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND... I HAVE SPOKEN TO RENTAL CO & ALL THEY ARE CONCERNED WITH IS COLLECTING RENT... I DIDN'T PAY THEM & NOW THEY WANT TO EVICT.... I NEVER GOT SERVED A 7 DAY NOTICE ... BUT YET I RECEIVED A EVICTION SUMMONS TO COURT... AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY REPAIRS AS WELL... I HAVE A BEE HIVE WITH OVER 1000'S OF BEES LIVING IN THE WALLS OF MY HOME... THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS I HAVE WITHHELD MY RENT.... AND I TOLD THEM I WAS WITHHOLDING IT PRIOR TO ME DOING SO UNTIL THEY FIXED MY RENTAL PROPERTY... NOW I AM BEING EVICTED!!! I THINK SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE... PLEASE ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED... I AM NEW TO MICHIGAN & DON'T KNOW THE LAWS HERE REGARDING RENTAL PROPERTY

Answers

6
Regret to hear your problem.

Sadly, the Rental Property Company is doing their job of collecting rent for collecting rent.

When dealing with the rental company it is best to put it in writing after a call and send it via Mail with proof
Of mailing receipt. Generally, you have to request the work to be done or if the property management company fails to do the work then have the bee hive removed and then deduct the cost from the rent.
The property is the owners till, it reverts to the Bank.
You should get an attorney and fight the eviction.
Surely, your non payment of rent will destroy your credit score along with the upcoming eviction.
Perry
I WOULD MAKE THEM SHOW YOU THAT THEY ARE CAUGHT UP ON THEIR MORGAGE BEFORE YOU PAY ANOTHER DIME....LANDLORD EVICTED OR EVICTED FROM BANK ALL THE SAME YOU STILL HAVE TO MOVE WHY NOT SAVE FOR THAT PROBLEM NOW
well i am in a simular situtation .... i have been renting from my landlord for 10 months 4 months over my lease and i always paid untill i started recieving notices of seizure papers form the sheriff's office well then i contacted a legal adviser and they told me why pay rent ???? when the house is going back to the bank and i will still be kicked out??? aww cu'mon so eighter my land lord will evict me or the bank will.
anyways i have to move might as well save the money i will be spending on rent so i can find anew place and have moving money...
(well when the bank takes it back they will also pay you to get out how cool is that !)
You need to secure a real estate attorney, ASAP. If you would like to email me at Derek@DoorToDreams.com and reference this situation, I will respond with a referral for you.
You are obligated to pay rent even if your landlord is in foreclosure. Presume you received a 30 day notice to quit when you stopped paying. You should hire an attorney if you wish to stay in your home. Between the bees and the foreclosure, it may be time to look for a new home. In the future when there are proplems (bees etc), put your concerns quickly in writing. As far as the Michigan laws - your State Rep. has "free" landlord/tenant law books that they would be happy to send you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
Google for your area tenants rights for your area. They could possibly have some sort of representation for you as well. It is worth looking into. You have rights for the most part, but you should continue to uphold your end of the lease by paying your lease payments on time. It does seem as though you are caught in between, and I would also sugget that you send the management company a letter on the issues that need to be addressed, send it certified and also hand deliver it. good luck.