Question Details

Lucky1, Home Buyer in Alexandria, VA

Are listings in RealtyTrac reliable? I get a sense a lot of inaccurate information is posted.

Asked by Lucky1, Alexandria, VA Wed Nov 18, 2009

Answers

2
there have been similar questions posed on here about realtytrack. Generally people think it is more of a come on to make you sign up and pay them money.

Since you can get foreclosures (for free) from most realtors why bother with a pay service?
I have found that many of the "listings" in our area are actually the minimum bid at sheriff sale, which theoretically is the asking price for a home but only a very few will actually go for that price at auction because the foreclosing lender will buy it back at the auction. At the risk of being unpopular, and knowing that my reply might bring some heat, I must say this part of RealtyTrac is a teaser. While they do have some accurate information about available homes, so does the realtor who has access to your local MLS who works in foreclosures. I send this same info to my buyers for free, and I imagine that most agents would gladly do the same.
I get calls from clients who saw the deal of the century online at such sites and I have to disappoint them with the truth a lot :-(
Web Reference: http://www.askaboutreo.com