For Rent in 76053>Question Details

Tracy, Home Owner in Hurst, TX

what's the best way to advertise a home for rent. I need to get it rented ASAP but would prefer not to have a property manager.

Asked by Tracy, Hurst, TX Wed Nov 3, 2010

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 76053

Answers

12
Rentals do not have to be "managed" by anyone but you after you have a tenant.
You can get the tenant yourself as the out-of-state people have pointed out, or you can ask your Realtor to list the property for rent.

Craig's List does produce calls and emails, and some of them are even from potential tenants. I get a lot of spam from posting on the website, and a lot of "negotiators" trying to undercut the advertised price severely or offer other services. The low end of the rental market does use it more effectively than the mid- to high-end rentals.

Management (collection of rents, maintenance of the property, evictions and other dealings with the tenant) usually are 10% or less, depending on the location and condition of the property. This is distinct and separate from acquiring a tenant.

Finding a tenant (advertising, showing, taking applications, verifying tenant information and background, and contracting) is a separate thing from management and usually runs between one half and a whole month's rent, depending on circumstances.

Both of these are negotiable and the typical fees are not a suggestion to you, but an observation of typical practices in the D/FW market.

Check out different Realtors and see who offers either of these services. Sometimes you can tell by their websites. Use craigslist with care.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
Hi Kathy,

As a landlord you can submit your rental property on Trulia. The process is easy and the listing will be live on Trulia in 24 hours so you can start generating more exposure for the home quickly.

Check out the link below to submit the property and let us know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Dear Tracy,
You can post it here on Trulia and CraigList.com. I have had excellent results from both websites.
Cheers,
Betina
Signs in the window and around the neighborhood. Neighbors like to choose their neighbor and they may know someone who is looking to rent. Placing a sign up when workers or you are there to fix up the place is advantageous. Workers or you can let prospect see the place while in progress to see if home might be a good fit for them. May even get it rented before its ready for them to move in!

Craig's List is good too. I would advise not placing photos on the inside if vacant. There are alot of scammers out there that we encountered somehow they reposted with old pictures and were trying to get deposit money. They showed up to show the place (our place) and our tenants in the home called to ask what was going on.If you get calls from Craigs list have them drive by first when they first call you. Bring someone with you when you show the home. When you have rented the place be sure to delete your Craig's list ad.

Good Luck

Jill Matthews
Re/Max Allstar Realty
Thanks for your input on Craig's List Scam. Never thought of this to happen.
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
All excellent suggestions. You can also do an open house over the weekend, put the ad in the paper, Craigslist, let your local realtors know (they often have clients who need rentals). Just be very cautious of the various scams. And be familiar with the laws of tenancy.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
In a word, craiglist! It's the best (free) source available.

You should have an application for them to fill out and make sure you pay for a credit report and do a background check on EVERYONE. It's well worth the investment.

Office Max/Depot will have standard rental agreements you can purchase. READ THEM. There's a lot in there and its your responsibility to know it inside and out. You can make through contract items...just make sure both parties intial and date the change to acknowledge accceptance.

And don't foget to establish a relationship with a handyman you can count on when and if those tenant calls come in.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Home Appreciators Team at
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
I have the best success with signs and online marketing. Check with your local paper to see if they put your ad online for free if you buy print ad space. This will get two avenues with the online one being the most important.
Consider listing with any local agent, possibly run ads in local print media or any real estate related online service, word of mouth, etc.
You don't have use a property manager we do listings on homes for rent where owner does his own management.

I work with many families in DFW leasing market happy work with you as a Realtor promote your home for lease.
Direct Link : http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5041503

Many families prefer use Realtor based on number of scams in the media and Texas Real Estate Commission also published several news articles of these events
http://www.lynn911.com/Web/AR287090/CustomContent/index/5032442

As a listing agent we confirm who is on the application complete investigation work THEREFORE you don't have questionable tenants in your property.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I use Craigslist as a realtor, when I have an owenr who is in need of a tenant. Here in New York, the tenant is responsible for any fee's. As the owner, Craigslist may charge in your area, it is usually minimal. The more photo's you have the better. Good Luck
You would be suprised what a for lease sign will do for you in today's market. I was getting so many calls that I told them all to meet me at the home at a specific time so I could let them all look through it. If you are not having much drive-by traffic I believe there are some leasing websites available but not too certain. Also some agents will do it for a minimus charge...just depends on who you ask! Send me the specs and I will see if any of my inquiries would fit into the home!

Sarah Padgett
Century 21 Judge Fite Company
cell: 817-614-6390 (call/text)
sarahpsellshouses@gmail.com
A Realtor can assist you with this. Some offer their marketing services without property management services. I could offer this if I were in your area. Search online for Realtors with Rental listings and give them a call :) Good luck!
I need help with this too! Answers posted in this thread are awesome. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a Rental Agreement , I found a blank form here.
Flag Thu Jan 8, 2015