For Rent in San Francisco>Question Details

Sama, Renter in San Francisco, CA

my grandparents have been living in a property for the past 65yrs, the property have had 3 owners but none had try to get them out, any law?thx sama

Asked by Sama, San Francisco, CA Fri Nov 4, 2011

my mother grew up in the piece of land, given to them to live, i grew up there, and my nieces and nephews are growing up threre...the 1st owners fenced up the piece of land for my granparents and move the main dirt road, passing behind the house and not through the front of the grandfather is 84yrs and was born there.

Help the community by answering this question:


John & Janis Arendsen’s answer
Do you know if your Grandparents were ever issued a formal "Life Estate" by any of the owners? You may want to look into that. Here's a definition from the California Department of Real Estate. Good luck. I really hate to see seniors get pushed around.…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
Hi Sama-

Yes, it is best for you to seek advice from a qualified attorney.


Rich Bennett, Realtor

Zephyr Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
The only good advice is to seek the counsel of a real estate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
Since you are asking a legal question, it's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; most professionals do offer a free consultation, or check with the local Legal Aid Society for a pro bono attorney, free.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
Hi Sama, Are you asking if there are any laws that protect your grandparents? If they live in S.F, the answer is yes, there is.

I can't give you legal advice, you should talk with a real estate attorney. Again, if it's in SF, contact the rental board, they will give you free advice.

Maybe you can clarify your question so myself and others can help you better.


0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
Are you asking if they can claim ownership? Adverse Possession requires using land that you don't have a right to use and doing so in an "open and hostile" way for at least 7 to 10 years. The exact nature and application of this law will vary in different states, but you can start by researching this term.
Ultimately, you will need to work with an attorney to see if your family can make any claims, but remember, once you open this can of worms with the owners, they will be forced to fight to keep what they believe is theirs. It may not be pretty.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer