For Rent in Edgewater>Question Details

Halina Chu, Real Estate Pro in Edgewater, NJ

does the NJ law required landlord to get the certificate of continue occupancy before renting to his tenant in Edgewater, NJ?

Asked by Halina Chu, Edgewater, NJ Fri Dec 24, 2010

Answers

8
Well the short answer to this question would be yes
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
Below is a link for the CCO & Fire permit applications
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
Landlords are supposed to provide the same smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher inspections that sellers have prior to closing on a home.

So, yes, according to NJ law, a tenant should have had those inspections provided for by the landlord.

In regard to certificates of continuing occupamcy, as noted below, requirements vary from town to town.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
After the holiday weekend you can also call John the head of Edgewater's Building Department. He also is the person that performs all of the C of O inspections for the city of Edgewater. Maureen in the building department is also very helpful. The phone number is 201-943-1700 press 1 then 7 to be directed to the building dept. I have also attached a direct link to Edgewater's Building Departments website and the Certificate of Occupancy page. Best of luck! Joshua Baris
The most reliable answer can be found in Edgewater's building department. Below is a link.
Happy holidays & good luck.
Bernie

Ps: resales, new construction - obviously...but condo rentals...also...check the link
Every time you have a "new" occupancy /tenancy you must have a C/O completed. NJ places this requirement on the towns to complete. Also some areas require a Fire inspection yearly. But the C/O is only required for new tenants and each time you get a new tenant. However check with your building inspection services in your town to gather their requirements. They will have a form of what they look for so you know what to expect.

Make sure you have proper licenses also so to protect yourself from legal problems in the event of required evictions. If you do not get a C/O prior to occupancy you will have a difficult time with NJ LAw , your township, and your tenants. Do not allow even a suit case to be moved in until the c/o is approved.

As I am not opposed to referring questions to an attorney. I think this one is not necessary a legal question as it is your towns requirements.

Larry Sarlo
Weichert Realtors
609-868-1171
lsarlo@comcast.net
http://www.FreenjHomelistings.com
I do not believe that would be necessary. If you are selling the property then yes you need a Certificate of Occupancy. If you are renting to your tenant with the option to buy they may just want it prior for piece of mind. However, I do not think the law requires it to be provided. However I would recommend speaking with a Real Estate attorney. I always call Steven Freesman in Fort Lee for advice. Best of luck and happy holidays! Josh
If you ever in doubt confer with an attorney

GREAT QUESTION:

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com