For Rent in South Gate>Question Details

Caesar, Renter in South Gate, CA

am renting a house, a guy went over asking for the owner he said he was from chase bank. and asked to take pictures of the property

Asked by Caesar, South Gate, CA Wed Nov 23, 2011

Answers

4
Hi Caesar,

This individual sounds like they might have been hired by Chase Bank to conduct a BPO or appraisal on the house. That's generally the reason for taking photos. This could be a result of an active sale of the property, a refinance, loan modification or the owner is in default (foreclosure.) I strongly believe that if this person was a real estate agent they would have identified themselves as such. I would contact your landlord right away and ask if they have intentions of selling the property? If you feel you're not obtaining the information you need, please don't hesitate to contact me with further questions. I have access to foreclosure resources if needed or legal advisors who can assist you with any potential legal issues that may surface regarding this matter. With millions of home owners facing financial challenges, some of those people have turned to renting out their homes. Only later do they realize that they're no longer able to sustain their mortgage payments even on rental properties. You as a tenant can never be too careful. Keep an eye out for other activity and ask questions.

Best Wishes & Good Luck!

KATRINA ROTH, CDPE, REALTOR
Keller Williams VIP Properties
25124 Springfield Court, Suite 100
Valencia, CA 91355
Direct 661.208.1855
Fax 661.291.1463
KatrinaRoth@kw.com
http://www.KatrinaRoth.com
DRE#01862396
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 23, 2011
Boy this is an old question. I am going to chime in anyways. It sounds like the person you spoke to was assigned to do a BPO on that property. That is a Broker Price Opinion. Back in 2011 and even earlier they were very common. The bank that serviced or owned he loan wanted to find out what condition the property was in and what the market value was at the time in case they had to either negotiate a short sale or if they foreclosed on the property.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
Bre Lic #01456982
I tend to agree with Katrina. Sounds like a BPO. I would contact the landlord. Could be a number of things but you'll never know unless you ask some questions.
Sounds strange. I would contact your landlord and tell him about it and ask what is going on. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Best, Joshua Rabinovitz.