For Rent in 78759>Question Details

Julie, Real Estate Pro in 78759

What does a single digit NTN(national tenant network) decision score mean?

Asked by Julie, 78759 Sat Oct 16, 2010

To all the expert in the Real Estate field, what contributes to low NTN number?
I know it's based on employment,rental and credit score. Can I get more detailed weight on each factor?
If the score is as low as a single digit, but the previous landlord had no problem with this tenant, should I approve this one? Please advise.Thanks a lot!

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 78759

Answers

4
I am unfamiliar and I can only recommend you reach out directly to where you received this report. There should be a contact number as to where you can get some clarification.

I also recommend, if you are unable to find another tenant that meets your NTN requirements, simply let this tenant know there are a few factors that show higher risk on renting to him/her, and then simply ask "Are you able to put up one extra month's rent in advance and maintain rent on time?"

This would allow you the additional peace of mind, and it would allow your tenant to get in. (ultimately this is simply increasing the deposit and that;s how it should be written up on Lease, however, if you present it in this way, it may be absorbed easier)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 17, 2010
Julie,

If you and your land lord are still unsure on the possible tenants credit history. I have been known to asked them in the past to provide a "current" copy of their credit that the can get for FREE on annualcreditreport.com. This allows my landlord the opportunity to see how current or past the issues are. Hope this adds some assistance to your question.

I have to agree with Jackie. These standarized scoring methods are a little harsh given what has been going on for may folks in the past 2 - 3 years.
I have been discussing the issue with LL when listing a property for lease. It is becoming more and more common to find major *glitches* in financial histories.
If previous rental history is good & there is verifiable income, it is possible that the prospective tenants could put more deposit down to boost your comfort level. I have even had LL agree to a double deposit w/ 1/2 of dep. to be credited to last month's rent so long as all rents have been paid in full and timely.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 16, 2010
Lots of things could contribute to a low score. Each thing that is found negative contributes to a subtraction of points. For example: past due medical bills of more than $100 could result in points being taken away, so could evictions, problems at previous rentals, bankruptcies, etc.. Typically a score of 50 or less results in a refusal of occupancy. However, I don't know if that should necesarrily prevent you from renting to someone. People have different reasons for certain situations and it could be that this person has legitimate reasons for whatever is showing up. If they have a good record with the previous landlord, then I would certainly voice why you are hesitating with the approval and ask for them to explain what it is that has been found on NTN. Hope that helps!

Jackie