For Rent in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Psdm1988, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

How do you find rental properties that don't cost an arm and a leg near Moon Twp.?

Asked by Psdm1988, Pittsburgh, PA Tue Jun 21, 2011

My daughter works in Moon Twp. and we are looking for at least a 2 BR place (preferably with 2 BA) with A/C and a decent-sized kitchen with a good amount of counter space (needed for my home cake decorating business). Everything is either way too expensive or doesn't allow pets (my daughter has a cat). We currently live in Carrick and have decided that after last winter, her commute shouldn't be so arduous. How do we go about finding a new place to live? Craigslist is worthless unless you want to deal with Lobos Mgt. or live near Regent Square, Oakland, Swissvale, etc.

Look for an apartment or house in Coraopolis. You can get what you want for around $800-$1000 per month. Or call Syvester and Assoc. at 412-268-7800. I also know of a house for rent in Coraopolis for $1000.00 per month which would suit your needs. You can contact me. Joann Snyder @ 412-262-4630
You can try other web resources, such as, or local community papers if you can find them (check magazine racks at shops or grocery stores in the local business district). There are lots of developments in the area, such as Westpointe. It depends on how you define "arm and a leg". I would expect a 2BR/2BA to be around $800-$900, though it can vary widely. Should be under $1,000 in any case.

You can certainly call a real estate office there and ask for their rental dept. It's generally not worth it for more modestly priced properties to list with real estate agencies, and the big developments all do their own marketing, so rental agents would mostly have higher-end single-family homes or smaller multi-units. You may also need to pay broker fees (sometimes up front) for looking that way. Not to discourage you to try that! If you have very specific needs, a local rental agent may be well positioned to help you meet them. Pets will likely be a big issue when renting, though cats may be easier than dogs. Coldwell Banker has an Airport Regional office: (412) 264-8300

Given this rental price range, have you considered buying instead? Whether that makes sense depends of course on your future plans, willingness to take on the responsibilities of home ownership, and other factors, but given interest rates under 5%, it's likely attractive financially. Your mortgage payment could be comparable to your rent payment, and you wouldn't have to worry about pets. It's a big step, and home ownership isn't for everyone... just something to think about as you search. Good luck!
If you use a keyword search of "Robinson" or "Coraopolis" on craigslist , you can find places closer to Moon Township without sifting through other areas. You can also check the cats button and enter your maximum rental amount.

Some apartments to consider:

2BR duplex in Coraopolis $550 w/pets:
2BR triplex in Coraopolis $750:

If you're looking for more amentities, there is a 2BR in Carnegie for $949:

Hope this information helps. Please contact me if I can help you further in your search.
what I would do is to contact a real estate office in that area, to help me find what i desired.