For Rent in Jersey City>Question Details

Amanda, Renter in Jersey City, NJ

CAN I FIND A HOUSE FOR RENT THAT EXCEPTS SECTION EIGHT IN JERSEY CITY NJ?

Asked by Amanda, Jersey City, NJ Tue Aug 17, 2010

Answers

3
Hi Amanda,
Ian is absolutely right. It is against the law for landlords to refuse to accept your application solely because your method of paying is with a Section 8 voucher. They can, however refuse your application for a number of other reasons (such as a poor credit score, or lack of rental history). Likewise, Jersey City's rental market is very dependant on Realtor's, meaning that many apartments require the tenant to pay between one half month and one month's rent for the Realtor's commission (broker's fee). Section 8 will not cover this expense, but if you cannot afford this, there are a number of rentals where the landlord agrees to pay the full fee.
Before becoming an agent, I worked as a Housing Social Worker managing rental subsidies and helping clients with Section 8 and other programs find homes.
If you would like to give me a call or shoot me an email, I may be able to help you find an apartment, either with or without a broker's fee.
Good luck!!!
Trisa Edmonson
Victoria Realty Group
(415)516-2478
TrisaE@gmail.com
It is illegal in the state of NJ for any one to tell you they don't accept section 8. That is against fair housing laws. As long as you meet the landlords income requirements/guidelines(Section 8 counts towards that) then you have the same right as any other tenant to lease the space. Some Landlords aren't educated, so you might want to try educating them that the rent is guaranteed, and their is accountability for you because you can risk losing the assistance if you are not a legal and ethical tenant(good tenant). I ,just call the for rent ads, and ask to see the homes, if they ask about your income, you just tell them your rent is guaranteed and you can tell them more about it when you meet. You can also try contacting gsreia.com or mreia.com. They are the two real estate investor groups in NJ. Many of the members own homes in your area and many of them have no issue with section 8. Maybe see if there is away that an email can be sent to the group regarding a tenant looking for housing? It is worth a shot. As a landlord that rents to Section 8, I can tell you I always advertised "sec 8 ok" in my ads, so I know other landlords sometimes do the same. Just look for that is the newspaper ads. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Yes you can, most landlords will specify in their ad that section 8 is acceptable, if they dont then feel free to just ask them if they would take it. Here is an article on how to find real estate for rent: http://buyingsellingahome.suite101.com/article.cfm/real-esta…
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com