For Rent in Florida>Question Details

Gail, Renter in Florida

where is the most affordable place to live in Florida?

Asked by Gail, Florida Sat Oct 30, 2010

Answers

8
Gail,
In Florida, the lowest prices on average, for rentals or sales, are most likely to be in rural areas, far from any major city, and far from the coast as well. People are usually willing to pay more to live in a more desirable area or property.

That being said, you can usually find good buys anywhere, especially if you're flexible as to what you want. You may want to check out the website referenced below. Good luck in your search.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
Web Reference: http://www.watsonrent.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
Continuing from a different perspective to my earlier post. Rental over purchasing is becoming a national trend.
With over 50% of the state under water on mortgages renting becomes a good option for lot of sellers that are looking for a secure good long term tenant.
Given the savings over property taxes, insurance , cost of upkeep ( maintenance) it is a trend that is hard to beat.
When you can rent a one or two bedroom condo on the ocean in places like Fort Lauderdale to Deerfield Beach for under a $1500 a month or rent a three bedroom pool home in a good school district like Coral Springs
Why would you settle for less ? For many retirees Century Village provides affordable lifestyle in Deerfield, Boca Raton Delray Beach where some units sell as low as $35,000 for a two bedroom unit.
It is logical that areas of Florida that offer little or no opportunities for employment are the areas that are the hardest hit and values will reflect that. If you need to keep working that may be a priority in your search of areas to live.
My suggestion would be North Port, FL. There are a lot of newer homes at affordable prices.
Florida is as affordable as you make it. Most people choose the climate as a reason to escape from the cruel winters of the North. The luxuries are abundant but come with a cost. Finding the right job that provides the essentials for a lifestyle that is only dictated by need. For many Florida is a luxury beyond their means compared to others States where the benefits of lifestyle fall short of their abilities to support it.
I have found your question most interesting as compelling. In essence the phrase I focused on was “ Place to Live” You have already made that decision and came to a conclusion “FLorida” As to where? Let your heart and soul be your guide and your pocket the grounding force. Paradise is everywhere where you make it your own. Affordability is just an other word for choice that tends to confuse us when we are calculating the value of life and the freedoms that come with it. If the roar of the ocean and the swings of the palm trees frame a picture of sunshine and your in it. Send it to a friend with the words "wish you were here”?

I am … I have found paradise.
Citrus, Levy, Sumter, and Hernando counties are by far the best of Florida for the price!
Hi Gail,
You asked:

Can I ask, wouldn't that be based on your own personal financial situation? As an example: a $50,000 auto is easily affordable to a person making a million + a year where it could be totally out of reach for the person making substantially less.

Perhaps, you are concerned about the ability to pay or perhaps equity growth or price per sqaure foot.

Maggie, below is correct...the farther out you go from the metro areas the cheaper dirt becoemes.
There are many places in Florida that are affordable. North Port and Port Charlotte, FL are both very affordable. There are many homes for rent at reasonable prices if you plan to rent on an annual basis. If you plan to rent seasonally, it is much higher in any area of Florida.

If you are going to rent a property be sure to know Florida's Landlord/Tenant Law. You can find information on this at http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
Actually, many areas in FL are affordable. I lived in Orlando and South FL; I preferred the latter, but paid a little more for rent there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010