For Rent in San Antonio>Question Details

theshinyone1, Renter in San Antonio, TX

when renting a house do they do background checks?

Asked by theshinyone1, San Antonio, TX Mon Sep 30, 2013

The reason I ask is because I just lost my job and my boyfriend has a criminal background hes been out for a couple years already I am currently living in an apartment that I leased when I was working but now that I don't have a job hes the one paying the bills please help

In San Antonio, all property managers and homes listed by a company would do a background check. Each one is a little different in their qualification, some more strict than others. What most are going to be looking at is:

Income: to see if you have 2-3 time the amount of rent in your monthly income
credit check: if over 600 then you should be ok, depending on if there are bad debts
Criminal Background check: Looking more at felony and high class misdemeanors
Rental History check: if you have any late payments or broken leases.

Apartments have a similar criteria but there are many out there that accept certain items. The main issue is income, if you don't have the ability to declare income then you might be better staying where you are. Almost all places will need to see income to verify that you can pay rent.

If needing to be in another place then driving around looking at signs that just say "for rent" with no company on them or local websites would be your best bet.
some agencies do, some don't. We do, and some of the HOA's require background checks before they allow landlords to rent. Try renting directly from a private owner if you are worried about it - they have greater leeway than a licensed agent - we are held to account to explain WHY we put a stranger into the landlord's property, and typically, run bacground and credit checks to make sure we are not causing ourselves to be liable for lawsuit.

Anita Reeves
Amberson Realty
Our company creates a report for our landlords that consists of work history, credit checks, background checks, and a rental history check. As Suzanne said, Landlords tend to mostly care about rental history. Bad credit can be seen as a good thing since it most likely means you can't buy a house anytime soon and you will stay renting (hopefully their property) for a long time.
Landlords have different criteria for determining which tenants they will accept and which they will not. Some do background checks, credit checks and so on and some go by 'gut instinct'. They really want to know that you can and will pay your rent every month on time and in full and that you will take good care of their property and not cause them any trouble. It might be helpful if you could get a letter of reference from your current landlord. It will also help if you can show that your boyfriend has stayed out of trouble for the last several years and is turning his life around.
Not every landlord will do a background check, but there are companies that do check those things for perspective tenants (my company just signed up for those services for our listings/landlords). Past evictions, homeland security threats or criminal records will show up.....along with credit reports and job verification.

This doesn't mean that a landlord will automatically reject someone because of having a record....most landlords are more interested in whether you have the ability to pay the rent (enough income) and have a good history of paying rent and other bills on time.

Some landlords will only ask for credit checks and job verification.

Good luck.............
very helpful information
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013
Thank You
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013