mariucvarela…, Renter in New York, NY

the landlord does not give me his contact number, it is a scam???

Asked by mariucvarela84, New York, NY Wed Jan 16, 2013

Answers

7
Most likely, yst. Unless he is using a broker. Then all communication goes through the broker.
This sounds fishy. I would certainly present this question to the landlord. Meet in person, verify their identity and credentials, pay with a check. And..... I would ask him for his identification prior to paying him any money. I ask for ID often, and make copies for my records. No one has every told me know :)
Everyone must follow their gut feeling these days when renting. If it feels hinckey, walk away. We are seeing a huge increase in tenant scams going on and the variety of ways to separate renters from money.
The first tip off should be any below market rent. The “landlord” offers some reason but really is relying on the “tenants” greed as motivation. So look very closely at any “deals”. You might just get nothing for your money.
Next is access to the unit. Never give any money to anyone till you’ve seen the interior of the unit with access provided by the landlord or their rep. Never!
In this case where they don’t want to give their contact info, ask who you call if there is a maintenance issue?
To all let – trust but verify and check your own greed – it might get you fleeced.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
There are many scams so any red flags point that way. Forst never rent a home sight unseen. Next never wire money to a landlord, next if they say they are out of teh country and offering you half price rent to take good care of their home 99% chance it may be a scam. Any valid landlord will give a number to reach them.
Hi, Never do business with a landlord that won'rt meet in person or give you their contact info. Unfortunately there are tons of scams on the internet at the moment. Thjey pose as people that have been transferred over seas for work and price the rental at a ridiculous price. If you can't meet a landlord, review a lease, and shake hands...run.

Chris
Why wouldn't he give you his information. You are correct to be suspicious.
That's hard to tell based on this information only. If the price is unbelievably low, it may be a scam. If the owner is out of the country it probably IS a scam. If the owner wants you to wire transfer money for the security deposit and first month's rent, just walk away! The best defense for any tenant against scams is to work with a realtor.