For Rent in Morrisville>Question Details

Ddndan, Renter in Morrisville, PA

should i send money thru western union for down payment on the home im going to rent?

Asked by Ddndan, Morrisville, PA Wed Mar 23, 2011

ive seen the home it looks vacant and clean, the landlord has spoke to me thru email and phone he is in nigeria and is a missionary he is renting me a home but obviously im not going to nigeria so i have to western union the money to him then i will recieve a fed ex with the keys and paperwork.....however i printed all emails for proff of agreement and ive checked to make sure the home is not in foreclosure what should i do?

Answers

5
I would NOT send money through Western Union for any sort of down payment. It's not trackable, traceable or refundable. Once it's picked up, it's gone. There were Western Union scams going on craigslist a while back, maybe even still. I'd say the rule of thumb is, if you can't dispute the charges in some way, don't do it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 18, 2011
Ddndan,
Assuming you are serious, NO! I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think those emails mean anything. There are thousands of Nigerian scams on the internet, so many I'm surprised they keep trying. Chances are the home may be for sale or rent, but by the actual owner who lives anywhere but in Nigeria. Send them money and kiss it and your new rental goodbye.
Check County records for the actual owner, you can usually do this online. Google search the address to see if it appears for sale or rent through a legitimate firm. Just don't send any money. I'd say the chances of this being legitimate are 100,000 to 1.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 23, 2011
the did the same to me only i didnt send no money bcuz they hsd gotten my friend she was very excited well the house was awesome , but i send you money you send me key nnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,,,, i dont play with my money ...... lol most likely a scam
Hello Renter,

How did you make sure that email you got is from the right owner? Did you do some checking regarding who is the real owner of the house? Those emails mean nothing. I would be extremely careful about sending money without verifying the facts.
Personally, I would go find another home...But thats just me. Nigeria? Western Union? hmmmm....