For Rent in 10040>Question Details

Byron Johnson, Other/Just Looking in 10033

sending money order just to receive keys to view apt....is this common practice?

Asked by Byron Johnson, 10033 Mon Aug 6, 2012

hello.....ive found an apt way below market value at 720 ft. washington ave 4w 10040. the owner wants me to send a deposit via money order just to receive the keys to view the apartment. has anyone ever done this before?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 10040

Answers

17
What do you think Byron? I live and work up here. Let's try having me contact this person as your representative and see if I get the same answer. Scammers prey on people like yourself who don't know any better.

Nancy Brennan
Corcoran
917-568-7701
nbrennan@corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
Great!! I was actually going to go to ring the bell myself
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
No, don't do it...it is a very common scam on the internet. Never send money without meeting a landlord, viewing the apt, and having a notarized lease.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
BEWARE!
This is a classic SCAM!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
BIG BIG NO! ask for a copy of their title documents and, most likely you will never hear from them again.
Below market value, asking for cash before giving anything of value in return, no documentation and disclosure provided, lack of transparency - all of these are suggesting that you are dealing with a scam.
very strange. get a receipt from him, maybe go somewhere else
The same scam has been running since a friend of mine fell victim to it in the 1970s. How horrible are people that they take advantage of people looking for a home?! Awful!
Great to see so many real estate professionals take the time to give good advice and safe someone from a harsh mistake. Congrats to you all. Makes me proud to be a real estate agent. Thanks.
do not do this...it is a scam!
Has scam written all over it. Work with an agent to avoid being a victim.
Thank you all very much!!
No, Do not send them any money. If you need assistance finding an apartment in that area, please call me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
Sounds a little unusual (shifty) to me. Occassionally a leasing office will want to hold onto a deposit of $20 or a drivers license or something if they give out keys but I've never heard an owner asking this or for you to mail it in. Beware.
This is a SCAM! - glad you asked before doing that - these guys are very experienced now and use real addresses and real photos but when you ask them to send you a copy of the title documents confirming their ownership to the apartment they suddenly disappear. Do not send any money and deal only with licensed brokers and check all the documents carefully.
Turn and run away. Fast!
No!!!!!

I see other people answered right away too. This is a common scam found on Craigslist. No owner or broker would ever ask you for that. Remember if something seems to be too good to be true, then it probably is!

Never, ever hand money over unless you are applying for the apartment or signing leases. The only other time you would hand over funds is while the application is being processed and you are asked to hand over a "refundable" good faith payment.

If you would like some help in your apartment search please feel free to give me a call.

Annette Holmgren
Bond New York
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
401-837-9445 c
212-584-4220 o
aholmgren@bondnewyork.com
Keep in mind that scams do exist and you may have stumbled upon one...did you verify ownership; see link for helpfful information regarding scams...
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm
thank you for the link
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
Please stay away of scams.