For Rent in Salt Lake City>Question Details

Erin Voellin…, Home Owner in Boise, ID

rental scam "Jeremy Hutterfield"

Asked by Erin Voellinger, Boise, ID Sat Jun 2, 2012

BEWARE! I have reason to believe that any listing by "Jeremy Hutterfield" is a scam. Specifically the listing at 135 S 500 W Salt Lake City, UT 84101. Google his name and 'rent' and you will find 2 or 3 listings around the country that match this one exactly, same pictures, price, sq.ft., etc. He emailed us with more info on it and it was way too good to be true.

Answers

10
I also got the exact same set of emails for a listing in San Jose. What Dr. calls themselves a "sugeon doctor?"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 5, 2012
I can second that "Jeremy Hutterfield" is a scam! BEWARE!! Specifically for listing 490 S Highland Ave. Pittsburgh, PA. He sent the following email. Then followed up by having "rent.com@live.com" send me an email asking rent via western union. BEWARE!!

Hi there,

First of all, some things about the apartment: the apartment is fully furnished, but if you have your furniture, you can move some of my furniture in a storage room located at the same floor. You will find there all that you need: refrigerator, freezer, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer,speedcooking oven, venting system, washing machine.
It is available for rent for an unlimited period of time, you can stay there for the next months or even for the next years. I am very fond of pets and willing to accept them in the apartment.
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from RENT.com shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well. Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to a RENT.com bank account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that RENT.com has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.
The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 2 working days. You will be given a 3 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize RENT.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment.

Sorry for such an ample email but I wanted to clarify everything before proceeding further.

Dr. Jeremy Hutterfield

SCAM!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Got the same email reply except listing was in Louisville, KY
Mine came back with the exact same e-mail:

Please excuse me for the delay, but I have a crazy schedule here. I am a surgeon doctor working for a private clinic in Jacksonville. The rent for 1 month is $ 900.00 and includes all your utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of security deposit ($900.00) ( but that month of security you will receive back after you finish the contract ! The apartment is available for as long as you wish to stay(the contract can be done for a couple of months or it can be done for a long term(years).
I wish to conclude the transaction through Rent.com, You will be given a 3 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home.
If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize Rent.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed.
If you are interested please let me know and I will explain the entire process.

This listing is in Atlanta. $900/month isn't unheard of in Atlanta, but in the area he listed it in, my immediate thought was, "What is wrong with this condo?"
Same listing in Jersey City for $900--- rentals there go for at least $1800.
$900 outside Cleveland is at least believable, but downtown LA?? WOW!
I got the exact same email from one surgeon doctor "Richard Hutterfield" renting out $900 apartments in Downtown LA. Keep an eye out!
I also received a similar email in regards to a listing we found in Cleveland, OH:

Please excuse me for the delay, but I have a crazy schedule here. I am a surgeon doctor working for a private clinic in Jacksonville. The rent for 1 month is $ 900.00 and includes all your utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of security deposit ($900.00) ( but that month of security you will receive back after you finish the contract ! The apartment is available for as long as you wish to stay(the contract can be done for a couple of months of it can be done for a long term(years).

Dr. Jeremy Hutterfield

More pictures: http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/Apartment2012/
ha, that was the first email he sent me as well. That is the one that lead me to look into him more closely.
Flag Tue Jun 5, 2012
Also, I want to thank @edoug_lass for warning ppl from JERK like this.
Sounds like a scam. However, I DID Google that search and the only thing that came up was your question. Nothing else exists.
You're right! I just googled it again and this time nothing came up. I also flagged all the listings I found so the scammer might have removed them. I hope so.
Flag Sat Jun 2, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA