For Rent in 78759>Question Details

Julie, Real Estate Pro in 78759

multiple offers for house to rent.How to pick?

Asked by Julie, 78759 Sun Oct 10, 2010

I have a house for rent.I received multiple offers almost at the same time. Can I pick the one that I like the most in terms of move-in date and credit history? Or I have to follow the sequence that I receive the application fee?
Or I have to follow the sequence that I receive the filled application form? Do I have to only run one appliant's back ground check at one time and contiue to the next one when the first one doesn't pass?What is the legal and proper way to do this?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 78759

Answers

7
Kevin,Thanks for the help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Discrimination charges are scary, and they are a very serious thing that can get people in trouble when renting. As long as you know the Fair Housing laws and abide by them, you will be okay. Never let anyone force you into a decision based on their race. That's just as bad and is still discrimination.

Here is a link you should take a look at, it will help you in the future.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/hrights/

Best wishes,
Kevin
Based on all the answers,I don't have to follow any time sequence of when I showed each applicant as long as I refund the application fee if not used.What a surprise! I was really worried about possible discrimination charges
Hello again Julie,

Jim's answer is good, but be careful on accepting higher rent. That's a big thing right now that landlords and property managers are getting in trouble for. Many areas have city and/or county laws regarding rent rates and if/when they can be raised.

Here is a prime example of why it is regulated: I have a home I know I can rent for $600. I advertise it for $400 to get people to apply and keep the app fees.

Another example: I know I can rent a home for $600, but advertise it for $550 to entice more people to apply in order to drive the rent up above $600.

Be careful, and if it is legal to accept higher rent I think it's a great idea!
I'd let each of the applicants know that you have multiple applications and that you plan on running credit and reference checks on all of them. Some may withdraw their applications or some may come back with a higher rent.
Julie,

I don't miss this situation at all (PM company handles it now). You can choose whomever you want to rent your house, as long as the decision doesn't violate fair housing. You want to be careful in collecting application fees, and depending on what you have in your contracts/applications as to what the fee is for and if it is refunded can keep you out of or put you into a gray area. I would run one applicant at a time, starting with the person that made me feel like they would be the most reliable in paying the rent. Trying to prove what came in when for applications is next to impossible to prove unless you time stamp everything.

Here is a fun fact: I've had applicants accuse, threaten to sue... all sorts of things based on "discrimination." There is no law against discriminating against an individual. Someone may be of a particular race, but if you don't like them as a person, that's enough to deny their application. This baffles most people but it is true.

Good luck to you, and if you need anything else you can send me a message.
Kevin
Follow the advice of your agent, but i think you should go with less pets and better references as to previous landlords and if non-smokers. thats just my opinion...