For Rent in Laveen>Question Details

Lavena19793, Home Buyer in Laveen, AZ

how do you know if you are part of a rental scam?

Asked by Lavena19793, Laveen, AZ Fri Sep 7, 2012

the property is 6407 W. Sophie Laveen AZ I am being asked to send money thru monygram to recieve keys and paperwork how do I verify the owner is legitament

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Laveen

Answers

6
Lou Mayo’s answer
Big RED flag here. You never want to send anyone any money without knowing the details. I’m not sure where you have seen this property listed but I know of a popular Craigslist scam that’s going around. Basically the scammer finds a property that may be legitimately listed and places an ad posing as the owner. They will often give some story as to why then need you to wire the money.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with a local Realtor who will walk you through the process and save you the trouble of searching several different sites and services on your own.

Best of luck.
Lou
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
If you are using a real estate agent to get a rental you can go to the Arizona Department of Real Estate website at http://www.re.state.az.us/ and look up their license. If they are licensed then your chances of it being a scam are greatly reduced. If they are not licensed then I would check further before sending any money. This does not guarantee that it is legit but it does greatly reduce the risk.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
This is usually a scam! The house is listed for rent on the MLS so I would be happy to show you the home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
Do Not Send Money for keys in the Mail or money gram. This is A complete SCAM!!!!!!! You will lose your money.
This is a red flag right out of the standard warning you'll find on the craigslist property rental section. If a property is not being handled by a realtor (whose license and identity can be easily verified online), then you can search public records to find out whether you are at least dealing with the owner of the property. If it is an unlicensed property manager, then please do us all a favor and report them to the ADRE.

However, in this case (6407 W. Sophie), it looks like the property is indeed listed in the MLS with a realtor named Joe Castellanos at RE/MAX Desert Showcase.