For Rent in Edenvale>Question Details

Vera, Renter in

hello! I am wondering if this posting is correct? $ 1000.00 a month for rent??

Asked by Vera, Wed Jan 8, 2014

Answers

8
If the rent is too low, it's almost always a scam. Forward it to the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office real estate fraud division.
Vera,
You did not provide enough information (link to the address of the property) but if the ad looked fishy I think that you should trust your gut feeling and be very careful. There are a lot of rental scams on the internet
Hallmarks of a typical on-line rental scam:
1. Rent is lower than it should be for the subject property.
2. Property cannot be seen
3. Because the owner is out of state or out of the country. Just drive by and peak in the windows.
4. Sent money (wire good funds, no personal checks) and the keys will be mailed to you.
Often accompanied by a story that the owner had to relocate suddenly and they are looking for a good family to watch over their beloved house until they return…thus the low rent.

Also, watch out for similar scams in which the “landlord” wants you to fill out a rental application which provides information of a personal nature which the scammer can use to steal your identity.
This is not a posting related to my community. sorry!
I have seen scams on rentals and they can seem very nice. Normally when something is "too good to be true" it is really too good to be true. Landlords will almost ALWAYS rent for market rental prices. If a home is in significantly battered condition, you might see a lower price; or if the market is glutted with rentals, you might see a lower price.

Otherwise beware. I have seen fake landlords go so far as to send fake rental agreements and provide keys to visit a vacant home; then they ask for the money to be wired to them somewhere in another country.

Be very careful about lower than market rents. Not "a bit lower" where the landlord is just motivated; but say 50% lower. Be very careful!

Erica
this posting is not complete; thus it needs to be descriptive.
Is it a house or apt?
Sqft and beds/baths?
location?
date of availablity?
Most likely not, there have recently been some rental posting here on Trulia with wrong info, we have had a few incidents this week with low rental proposals, (if it's too good to be true, it probably is)

I would contact trulias customer service to find the exact or correct information regarding the rental posting or property.
This is not quite complete. Describe the sqft and beds/baths and the location of the home.
Hi Vera,

There is no link given in your post. It's best to contact the landlord or property manager directly. These forums are answered by real estate agents and loan officers. Best of luck to you!
The property is listed for sale and has an open house today. So it is a scam.
Flag Sun Apr 13, 2014