Without a signed lease, signed by both sides, you don't have a 1 year lease.
That is incredibly poor service, at a minimum. It just staggers me and angers me when I hear stories like this one.
You're not being impatient, you're being smart.
Please call the firm today and firmly ask to speak to the Principal Broker or Office Manager. This is the agent's boss. (Everybody' calls themselves a broker in NYC, but really, almost everybody is just an agent.)
Tell the Broker what has happened and ask the broker to facilitate an immediate lease signing for Monday. You need a lease signed ASAP.
I don't mean to scare you, but I'm just not sure you have this apartment in the bag. They could just return your money and say, "oops, so sorry."
I hope everything just works out fine, odds are it will, but if not, please feel free to call or email me if you find yourself in a housing emergency situation and I will do my best to help. I know Brooklyn well.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
New York NY
Also, if no one can help you try pulling up the address online to find out if it is being advertised by the owner.
My thoughts are as follows:
1) Try calling the broker at the office she works for.
2) Go to NYC.gov and see if the agent is actually licensed by the department of state.
3) Did the agent actually show you the interior of the property? If not I am worried that this may be a scam.
4) Check property records on http://www.nyc.gov (go to ACRIS) and see who the owner of the property is.
5) Contact the owner via phone, letter or simply ringing their door bell and explain to them what has happened, see what they say.
Usually an agent will not give out the owners phone number just as they would not give the owner your phone number until the deal was 100% consummated. You can try to have another agent help you, just make sure you tell them the whole story. If you want call me and I will see what I can do.
Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783