For Rent in Lawrenceville>Question Details

Stella, Renter in Lawrenceville, GA

Why should the tenant be responsible when renting a house of paying a " non-refundable $200 administrative fee to a property mgmt company?

Asked by Stella, Lawrenceville, GA Sat Jan 15, 2011

Usually the security deposit and the non-refundable administrative fee of $200.00 total to one month's rent. From time to time, some owners may offer special promotions to help lease their property more quickly. The security deposit is paid when you move in and must be paid by certified funds (cashier's check or money order). The $200.00 non-refundable administrative fee helps to offset the costs of preparing the move-in package and conducting the "move-in" and "move-out" inspections.... ARE the homeowners not paying the property mgmt companies to rent their homes for them, HANDLE MAINTENAnCE AND THE LIKES OF tenants moving in and out??. I'm basically paying the mgmt to clean the house and get it prepare for me? THIS does not include application fee.. Just Curious...

Answers

4
Hey Stella,

I agree with the comments below typically an administrative fee is closer to $50-$75 and this is for processing a background check. Always remember that price is negotiable and if that property manager is not willing to negotiate then it may be time for you to look for another home.
Thanks for the responses. A lot of people will charge and if they can get away with it, why not? I think as a tenant to be that is a fee i will definitely request be waive. At most 75.00 should cover background checks, employment verfication, and credit report. I can even pull all three credit report for free and bring it to them if necessary. Companies have departments that verifies employment-all that takes is a single call. BAckground checks can be done online for $19.95 for national checks. This sure does not add up to $200. And there are companies that will do all for a fee, or these mgmt can sign up for a monthly subscription. But like I said- if they think you will fall for it-why not get free money.. I certainly will not pay. WE live in the digital age of information. Information is cheap.
Stella it is not common for a $200 admin fee. Some companies charge fir real costs such as credit checks and time for verifying employment and past rental history but that is like $50. Check with your state laws, simply google GA landlord tenant laws and see what they can or can not do
Stella,

You should check with your local laws, preferably an attorney or a renter's advocacy program, to find out what is legal and illegal regarding these fees.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com