For Rent in 06516>Question Details

Emily Gisvold, Renter in West Haven, CT

When is the best time to start looking for rentals for the next school year?

Asked by Emily Gisvold, West Haven, CT Mon Dec 10, 2012

I am a college student and I would like to know when the best time to start looking for a new place is for Fall semester 2013

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 06516

Answers

4
John Poulsen’s answer
Hi Emily,
I would start about 90 days depending on the area and the school you are attending. If it is a tight rental market there you may even go out to 120 days. Craigslist is good but be careful when contacting owners. Meet in public places.
Contacting a Realtor is a good choice because the Realtor will do the footwork for you and it's a safer bet. Depending on the rent it may cost slightly more though.
If you are going into the Greater New Haven Area I can help you out if needed.

John Poulsen
Carbutti and Co. Realtors
203-494-9830
Hi 2 months is a good time to start looking
Hi, as a New Haven agent I suggest you prepare your application and begin to look 60 days before you want to move in. Be sure you can verify who you are meeting are giving your information to if you use CraigsList. I will tell you about that if we meet. MerryMerryHappyNewYear
Assuming your Fall classes begin in late August, I'd start looking in June. It's best to start your search without feeling rushed, take your time. You might find the best luck in July. If you're looking to find a place on your own, without the help on an agent, Craigslist.com is great for finding properties about a month or less from your expected move-in date.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, I'm always happy to help.

Molly Skipper
Citylights Realty Group
(202) 505-4105
molly@citylightsrealtygroup.com