For Rent in Upper Marlboro>Question Details

Springtime55, Other/Just Looking in Upper Marlboro, MD

What should I do?

Asked by Springtime55, Upper Marlboro, MD Tue Sep 1, 2009

How should I handle a roommate who is signed a rental agreement. She ask me during the signing to
modify the agreement to a bi-weekly payment plan. She works for the same same Co gov as myself so
i'm aware of the pay days. The first month she paid the entire amount but the second month she as me
to allow her to pay at the end of the month. At the end of the month she gave me half and ask could she
give me the other half the next month. How should i handle this?

Help the community by answering this question:


Cher Varnum-Glenn’s answer
Springtime, you definitely need to find a new room mate and fast. You can always go to the county court house and file a lien against your room mate or even go to small claims court. Trouble is, if you aren't getting the money from her now, I doubt you'll get the money after all that trouble. If it was me, I would have a serious sit down talk with her and explain again the terms of the lease. I would tell her that I did not have the money to support her and that if she can't meet her obligation then she needs to move. Of course I would expect drama of some sort. People can get very ugly. I would try to have some support around (another person) to prevent anything serious. For legal advice, you need to consult a lawyer. At least try the small claims court and see what you can find out. Evicting someone is not fun. It can take up to 6 months to get them out, and you would have to pay the entire rent because once you start the process I doubt your roommate will pay. Good luck! What a bummer!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 2, 2009
If I were in your position, I'd find another roomate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 1, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer