For Rent in Littleton>Question Details

carol.porter, Renter in Denver, CO

What do I do if I feel I have discovered a rental scam?

Asked by carol.porter, Denver, CO Mon Aug 19, 2013

7847 W Brook Dr, Littleton, CO 80128
My son responded to this home for rent and the party claiming it is his house sent a rather suspicious email. I looked up the owner of the house on Jeffeson County Assessors and it is not the man who sent my son the email.

Answers

7
Report it to the police. Unfortunately there are a lot of these scams out there.
Report it to the police and the owner of the property.

In addition, if it's listed on the MLS (it may be), report it to the listing agent.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Flag the listing on trulia and they will remove it!
You can report the activity to the Legal owner listed by the County Assessor's office, I'm sure they would like to know! Thanks for being vigilant.
Carole Porter,

I would do two things. First contact the owner since you know who it is and talk to them directly about this matter. If you are to find that this is a scam, I would call the police and let them know what is going on. They will direct you to te proper department to handle this. If you are suspicious, there is a good chance you are right about your suspicions. There are a lot of scams going on right now on this site, Craigslist and others. Be cautious and don't send money to anyone you don't know. Meet them at the property for viewing and with full verification of ownership.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
I have direct experience with this situation as a listing broker on a listing for-sale: Apparently "scammer" is scraping listing photos from web, posting for-rent notices, telling callers he/she recently purchased the property out of distress, directing them to forward a "deposit", routing them to drive-by property to check it out.

My Seller reported four rental prospects knocked-on door inquiring about rent. Two claimed they found the for-rent posing and phone contact on Craig List, one on Trulia.

I suggested my Seller let these folks know this is a scam, do not send anyone $, and suggest the "scamees" notify the posting site of the scam.
Based on that, alone, I would not assume it is a scam. Did they ask for any money? Did they have the abiltiy to show the home? In any case, if you believe that it is indeed a scam, you should contact your local District Attorney's office.
Here is his email to my son.
In response to your mail, if I may asked, have you taken a time out to drive by the property? and if you haven't, please find time to drive by because am not available to show you the property. To be precise, I reside in Detroit, MI with my family and I have the entrance keys with me here.

Once all arrangements are promptly met, I''ll mail the entrance keys along with the rental documents to your current home address which you're to receive within 24 hours. I would have loved to fly down and meet you in person but I can't fly down for now because I and my wife are expecting our first child in few weeks time. For this reason, I need you to assure me you and your family are capable of taking good care of my home importantly, the utilities once you moved-in. As I stated in my previous email, the Monthly rent includes the utilities.

Also, I need to inform you I initially wanted to sale the property due to the expire I had with my previous tenant but my wife advised me not to sale it but rent it out to a nice family that's capable of taking good card of our home. As a matter of fact a for sale sign is right in front of the house once you move-in, I'll need you to help me get raid of the sign since am no longer selling the property

Lastly, I'll require you fill a rental application form to enable I and my wife go through your references. Please instruct if you would like me to email you the rental application right away

Regards
Flag Mon Aug 19, 2013