For Rent in Santa Barbara>Question Details

Teresa Peari…, Renter in 93103

What can anyone tell me about this site, Trulia?

Asked by Teresa Peariso, 93103 Wed Feb 19, 2014

I have made cotact with three different owners of properties that are listed for rent on this site and all 3 of them are missionaries who either live in Africa or someplace else and cannot meet with me. They want me to fill out an online application with personal information. They have no pictures of the inside of these properties. I believe this might be a scam. Does anyone know anything about this?

Answers

2
We're heading into prime time for rental scammers. They are on every real estate site. Bottom line - if the rent sounds too good to be true - lower than market rents - run. Do not believe anything they tell you. If they start to tell you about being away, or out of the country, or want you to send any money - run. These are ALWAYS scams. People seem to want to believe they can get some amazing deal so they go along and get scammed. Don't be taken.
That sounds very suspicious. We have a lot of rental scams here in Austin where the scammer falsely advertises a property and then either pockets the money or steals the applicant's personal information.

On rentals, look for something that is either listed by an agent or a property management firm. These rentals will have highly visible contact information and photos. I would also recommend contacting one of the other local Realtors that will respond to this post and seeing if they can help you.