For Rent in Venice>Question Details

dawnmoore00, Renter in Bakersfield, CA

We are relocating to Venice Florida from Grand Rapids Michigan in March. Can you explain what the in/off seasons rates are (months)?

Asked by dawnmoore00, Bakersfield, CA Wed Jan 30, 2013

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Venice

Debbie Sterling’s answer
Good morning;

the in Season months are typically November-April. This is of course when all the Snow Birds
spend winter time here. The rent amount s can be twice as much then off season rates.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to give me a call at 941-549-0429.
Hi Dawn,

My wife and I relocated to Venice from South Haven, Michigan in 2006, and we Love it here!

Peak season here is the opposite of up north. It was shocking the first time we saw a "Closed for Summer" sign in a business window!

Summer is when you make your money in Michigan! It took us a while to adjust to Winter being the prime season.

There are numerous websites to look for rentals, I can send you links if you like. Would be glad to share with you some of the highlights of the area, and look forward to welcoming you to Venice!

All the Best,
Jim Sweat
Author of REAL ESTATE CSI: CONTROVERSY, SECRETS & INSIGHT (availalable early 2013)
Thanks Jim...this has been a great help. No we are not to familiar with the area but here it is just beautiful. My husband will be working for Draygon Enterprises and they are based out of Venice.
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013
Dawn, good plan. Giving yourself a little time to learn the area will help you to make a better long-term decision. How familiar are you with Venice? Here are a few links: (I am starting at this office in the sales division today)
There are others, this will give you a start.
All the Best,
Jim Sweat
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Thanks. I would like it if you could send me some links. We were thinking about finding a place to rent for 3-6 months that way we would have a place to land and still be able to look for a more long term place
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hi Dawn,

I changed offices at the beginning of the month, moved back to Venice, and wanted to follow up on the links request.
Gary Smith at American Realty of Venice can be reached at 941-484-8080 or by email

Author of REAL ESTATE CSI: CONTROVERSY, SECRETS & INSIGHT (availalable early 2013) American Realty
Mobile: 941-306-7384
Fax: 941-484-6747
Hello, Dawn. Thanks for asking this excellent question.

I live and work in Venice, and I can tell you that Venice is not a resort town. We have no hotels on the beach and no resorts in town at all. We also have limited condos on the waterfront and great stretches of beach that are not built on - and, per our City Plan, put in place in 1929, they should remain that way.

As a result, we don't feel the local population double or triple during the Winter and Summer months - which are the two regular vacation seasons in this area.

I would say that January, February and March are peak seasons for visitors, and June, July and early August are in 2nd place (I guess that's when most families and take a vacation - when the kids are out of school, plus many Europeans are here on Holiday at that time).

If you are asking about rental rates, a condo that may rent, turnkey furnished, during January for $2500 per month, may rent for nearly half that during the off seasons.

Vacant, unfurnished annual rentals would definitely be about half that - depending on the age, view, amenities and location of that property.

If you negotiate a long term lease, like 6 months, you can usually get a price break as well.

I just rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 car garage with a lake view on County Water and Sewer for $1200 per month. That's a good deal in this area for an unfurnished annual single family home.

If it was turnkey furnished, and rented seasonally, it would easily get $2400 or more per month.

There are two good websites to check for rentals in Venice::

Rob lives and works in Venice, and handles houses, villas and condos in Venice, seasonal and annual, for Prudential Florida Realty.

He recently helped a customer rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath turnkey furnished villa in a community with a club house and pool, about 4 miles to the beach, for $2200 per month plus bed taxes for January through March 2013 - to give you some idea.

This is a local property management company that handles mostly seasonal rentals, but does have a few annuals.
The winter season is considered in season. That is when the snow birds (northerners) come down to Florida for the winter to get away from the cold weather up North. Some people rent for the winter and others are considered seasonal residents. They live down here from 3 months to 6 months. In season is usually Oct to March. Rates for rentals are much higher during the in season. I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty