For Rent in Queens>Question Details

Monifa H., Renter in Queens, NY

Should I ask the landlord that I would like to paint or fix the space I am renting to my liking? What if I would like to make changes to the space?

Asked by Monifa H., Queens, NY Sun Sep 9, 2012

Let me be more clear. What if years later I am ready to leave the apartment. Should I ask the landlord what his/her view is on decor(for example: carpets, hardwood floors, marble counter tops in the kitchen, painting the walls? Would he/she want me to restore the space the way it was when I first rented.

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Queens

Answers

4
Anu Dutta’s answer
You better clarify these things with the particular landlord, it always changes depends on the landlord. If you don't take their consent there might be some surprise waiting for you after you move out.
All the best.
Hello Monifa - You should not spend any significant amount of cash to fix up the next person's property. You should be making plans how to one day in the near future purchase your own home. Therefore, if you find yourself with some extra cash pay your debt/bills down if any. If you do not have any debts, then it's time to build up your savings.

If you need any additional suggestions about saving to buy your own home, how to increase your credit score etc. Contact me anytime 914-299-0420
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
do you happen to have an email address that I can contact you by as well??
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012
Oh wow, your right! Thank you! I will be contacting you soon. Ty for the advice.
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012
Hi Monifa

Thanks for your thoughful question, you should definitely ask the landlord.

If the plan is to stay there for a few years, then clearly you mayw ant to make the investment while
Communicating the length of stay to the landlord. If the owner deems it an improvement s/he will
Allow. However, if you were start touching plumbing or create a risk of leaks then that's where the problems start with the landlord.

Perry

Trulai.com/blogperry_mistry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Thank You so much for your feedback. Yeah that's a great point too. Um, I do plan on renting for a long while most likely until I finish my studies. So I will be sure to state the length of time I plan to stay and negotiate with the LL about the changes I plan on making. On a lighter note, the changes I plan on making will definitely be improvements and little renovations. So, for me in my opinion, the LL should be happy with the upgrades taking place. Another point you made was the plumbing/pipelines. Again, thank you for telling me that. I plan to have these renovations done by professionals, but the painting will be done by me. So I will be absolutely SURE to make myself clear to the workers about not destroying or damaging anything. I honestly do not want any problems, I just want to feel at home and have a little space where I feel happy to bring company over where they can feel comfortable as well.
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012
Ask. Many leases require you to obtain written consent from the LL before painting or making "substantial" alterations to the apt. You may be required to restore the apt to its original state (I would negotiate that and try to reach an agreement upfront). Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.bverealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Thank You so much!
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012