For Rent in 94109>Question Details

Jen Gurvey, Renter in San Francisco, CA

SCAM BEWARE in San Francisco at 3404 18th Street

Asked by Jen Gurvey, San Francisco, CA Wed Sep 26, 2012

Here is the email I received:

Hello

My name is Charles money the owner of this particular unit(2bdr/2bath) located in 18th St, San Francisco, CA. You will have to secure this unit upfront if you really want to rent, by signing the lease agreement form and making a deposit of the first month and the security deposit to avoid any rush on your part when you arrive. The rent of the apartment is $2,400 monthly including a refundable security deposit of $1000 which will be refunded back to you...What you will do now is request for the lease and details of making reservation/payment so you can sign and make payment to enable me proceed with the reservation upon your move in date.

Looking for forward to you email requesting for the lease and details of making reservation/payment.

Warmest Regards,

Charles Money

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 94109

Answers

2
Leopold A Rodriguez’s answer
3404 18th does not asppear to be a legitimate address.

Odd that someone would spell his surname (line one) completely in lower case. Also, units are not located "in" a street. They are located "on" a street. However, the custom may differ in the Urkaine and in Nigeria.

There are many rental scams out there - even on Craig's List. I would advise any prospective tenant to transfer funds only after confirming the identity of the building owner. No public agency will provide this information, not even the Rent Control Baoard.

They say that everyone has 4-5 friends and 2-3 relatives in Real Estate. Ask one of them to check an ownership database.

LEOPOLD A RODRIGUEZ
Real Estate Broker 00849905
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
http://leopoldrodriguez.com/
Thanks!! Yeah, when he mentioned securing the place with a deposit before I had even seen it, I knew right away. I emailed Trulia.
Flag Wed Sep 26, 2012
Hey Charles,

You can always alert Trulia directly by emailing fraud@trulia.com, thanks for the warning!

Hope that helps,

R
Thanks Ryan, I'm Jen....Charles is the scammer. I'll alert Trulia!
Flag Wed Sep 26, 2012